low vitamin d

edited September 2012 in Health
I just received a letter that my vitamin d level is low and she sent me a script for vitamin d supplements ... So other than taking these pills am I okay otherwise or should I worry... I don't know why my vitamin d level is low I drink milk I eat cheese blah blah

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm too black to be in the sun lmao I try to stay out of the heat because of eczema so what else can I do???? @homebirthadvocate
  • Ugh okay !! Its been too hot here in va this summer so I neglected the beach and stayed in the house ugh .. I hope these pills are huge because I am definitely not gonna be able to swallow them
  • I just went to fill it so once I get the pills I will try to take them and then if I can I will ask for the liquid version but I am gonna start walking for 15 minutes outside everyday I hope that helps
  • edited September 2012
    You only need 15 minutes a day of UV exposure for your body to reap the benefits of vit. D.

Vit. D is a fat soluble vitamin, which means it requires fat for it to be absorbed efficiently. When supplementing make sure you take it with a meal that includes fat (good fats like avocado, salmon etc.), for optimal absorption. You will also want to take a calcium supplement along with your vit. D as they both work synergistically; meaning together they work more efficiently and help with absorption. A liquid supplement will have better absorption as long as you follow the above.

The 15 minute walks will help. You can also eat foods that are higher in calcium and vit. D, most will be from fortification.