Watch your friggin kids!

Seriously! I just read a report on how children, toddlers in general, are eating those pop-in packs of laundry detergent. It causes them to get really sick.

Umm, HELLO! I understand it is impossible to have full concentration on your kids, especially young kids, 24 7 but seriously how hard is it to keep harmful products out of their reach or even better in a secured location.

I really do not think there is any excuse for this. Even if you take your Lo to a friends or relatives' house if they don't have things baby proof suggest minor proofing or keep an eye on your kid. Typically if you politely ask someone to remove something dangerous from Lo's reach they will.

Comments

• Article: it was from the discovery news app so I don't have a link!

Toddlers Eating Laundry Detergent: Around the United States, thousands of toddlers are eating single-use laundry detergent packets, thinking the colorful nuggets are candy, reports TodayHealth.com.

Because the detergent in the packets is so concentrated, the children are experencing the symptoms of a stomach virus: vomiting, sleepiness and trouble breathing.

Most of the 2,950 reported cases have resolved themselves naturally, but some of the under-fives have had to be admitted to the hospital for breathing issues.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is aware of the cases, but isn't ready to yank the product from shelves just yet, TodayHealth.com says. via TodayHealth.com
  • Girl don't you know no one watches their kids anymore. I agree Its ridiculous. A lady at my doctors office the other day had 3 girls with her (7,5,3) and they were running, yelling, jumping, crawling under chairs, breaking the plants, and everything else. The receptionist told them to stop. They didn't. The mom was on her phone or reading a magazine the whole time. I'd never let my kid act like that.. I'd be so.embarrassed. people's really dont watch their kids when they go to someone else's house. They think its like their break time. We had friends come over and bring their 3 yr old for a football game. He broke almost everything on our coffee table and threw the broken pieces under the couch and all.over the room. The parents laughed. Seriously people???
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm like @Mama_Kat ! I don't let them out of arms reach half the time, and definitely not out of site. Even in restaurants I feel.awful if they get noisy, and they are going on 15 months so it's gonna happen!
  • Half the women around here you see walking on their phone while the little one is trailing behind her so far you wouldn't even know she had a kid. It's sad! I have three kids and have an eye on them at all times when I'm out at home I try my best, my two yr old is like Houdini...but majority of the time if I can't be in the room with him I have little mommy around (my 8 yr old). Lol.
    But I can't stand when parents do that...if I can handle 3 kids why can't you watch your one...smh!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mama_Kat exactly! There was a kid about two yrs ago hit by a cop car...we live where there are alot of one way streets. The cop was responding to a call and came down the wrong way and hit this boy he was killed. Last Sat (we live on a one way) two cars in one day came down the wrong way. I taught my kids to look both ways on the one way also. These parents then want to complain when something happens to their kid. I always tell my fiancee its like they want something to happen just so they can sue to get money...not sayin its true but my goodness!
  • Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I make sure all of our cleaning products, medications, hygene things are out of the reach of Lilium. Victor can reach SOME of them but only the ones he 100% knows what it is for. (Laundry detergent, my vitamins, my makeup and fb and my deoderants.) Seeing as he is nine years old he knows not to take any medications without me giving them to him but just to be safe I keep them out of his reach because you can never be to safe.

As for when we are out Victor knows to stay within approximately five feet of an adult he is with and if he *HAS* to touch something to be gentle. Lilium is either in the cart (with someone right there), in our arms, or on her leash (otherwise she would be one of those kids running around destroying things because she doesn't always want to hold our hands - side note we do not walk her like a dog nor do we drag her around; so anyone who has an issue with leashes think about what you say before you say it because any parent with a runner knows that it can save Lo's life.)

• @conreeaght I was always kinda anti kid-leash in principle...then, my son turned 2. I realized it was the best way to give him some freedom where he could learn and explore while keeping him safe.