Your goals for your children...

edited September 2012 in Parenting
Some recent conversations have led me to wonder if I'm missing out on teaching my kids certain values/morals.... So, I was wondering, what do you hope for your children? What kind of fully-actualized humans do you hope to send out into the world(It can be "big stuff" like spirituality, or smaller like "to be polite to strangers"...)

Most of all we hope to raise our kids to be compassionate, creative, and kind. We hope that we teach them to value friendships over money, to gain wisdom from mistakes, and to value differences in all people (especially by exposing them to a variety of cultures). We want them to find some level of spirituality that works for them (be it religious or not) and to feel successful if they find the thing(s) that they are passionate about.

I know there are many things I forget about during our daily-grind...that's why I'm posting!

Comments

• My goal is to raise a confident and independent woman, one who doesn't need a man to feel complete, nor the approval of her peers. I want her to be able to gather as much information as possible from a situation, and make an educated decision. Basically, I want her above all, to think for herself. Make her own judgements on things and people.
  • I just realized I forgot that above all else I hope that they do what makes them happy (as long as they don't harm or impede on anyone else's happiness in the process)

@natashalynn Word!!!
  • I want to raise my boys to be polite, kind and compassionate men who are happy in the choices they make. I want them to treat women with respect but not settle for anything less than true love. I want them to be amazing fathers, to learn from their Dad, spend quality time with their children, provide for them and never make promises they can't keep. I want my boys to be proud of the country we come from, but to accept people from other cultures and countries. I want them to travel and see the world and meet these people. Overall I want my boys to be happy. They dont have to be the next prime minister, but they need to try hard, and whatever they choose to be they need to do it well and work hard at it.
  • Aslong as my children respect other people, are polite and courteous I'll be proud. I have told my girls that I don't care what they do, be it Dr, lawyer or work in fast food, I just want them to be happy, and aslong as they are then I am. X
  • I want my children to be confident in their convictions, to be strong enough to say no when they know something is wrong, to be able to 'think' rather than be indoctrinated, to be accepting of people that are different, and to be successful in whichever path they choose.
  • ^ all of the above. :) Happiness is key to a good life. However hard life gets if u can find whatever is positive it can make a HUGE difference. I want them to understand that life is what they make it. Life is about helping others. I hope they have the compassion of Christ. I really just hope they value life and this world we live in.
  • My daughter is going to be a confident strong amazing woman. Knowing exactly what she wants not pushy but getting what she wants by being kind hearted and witty. She already has a kind heart and a strong father who teaches her you can always achieve what you want by working hard.
    My two sons are going to be polite and kind. I'm teaching them to treat women with respect and be polite. To be strong male figures on their childs life when and if they have them.
    All of them will choose what they want to do...I love them unconditionally and support them. They are amazing:)
  • @joshneviesmum in regard to "to think rather than be indoctrinated": kinda funny story...on my son's first day in preschool last week, I said to the teacher, "We want to raise our kids to question authority and to think for themselves. Unfortunately, this can manifest as bad behavior in little kids." Well, the teacher (and most parents in the room looked at me like i had bugs crawling out of my ears... So, I (perpetually putting my foot in my mouth) decide to fill the silence by saying "we can't be raising kids who 'just follow orders'...that was a popular excuse among nazis". Needless to say, the awkward silence continued. Next year, my son is going to a Waldorf school...