IUD strings

edited September 2012 in Postpartum Health
Ok, so when I got my IUD (mirena) placed about 8-9 months ago my DR did not tell me to check the strings, however on here and other places I see people talking about it/saying you should...soooo....are u supposed to? And...ugh....how?

Comments

• It is ideal to check them occasionally to insure it has not been displaced. You would insert a finger up near your cervix to feel them. Laying on the bed with a pillow under your butt would be a good way to get the proper angle.
  • Hmm....tried and can't find em. Maybe I will have hubby try tonight
  • Your cervix may just be very far back and difficult to reach. If you nor he can find them, I would call and make an appointment when you can. So long as you are not having a lot of pain, it's not too big of a deal (well, unless it did move and you get pregnant!). :)
  • I have one and I cant get my fingers up far enough to get them no matter how low I squat or spread my legs lol. I usually just let my husband do it every so often. When I was on the nuvaring he used to help me get the ring out because I couldn't for the life of me! :p