bladder control issues

edited September 2012 in Postpartum Health
I've never had problems controlling my bladder until I had my lo almost a month ago. I've been doing kegals since I delivered, and I haven't noticed any improvement. Its embarassing and annoying having this problem. Last year I didn't have this problem after I had my 14.5 month old.

Will it eventually get better? I hope this doesn't last much longer because I've been having accidents daily....and its annoying having to wear a pad when I'm not even bleeding anymore! :(

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We have physical therapy at my urology office. It is VERY awesome! It helps so unbelievably well for bladder control issues. You need to get a referral from your doc to a urologist. We specialize in this. Pregnancy can weaken your muscles of your bladder and pelvic floor, even with the kegels. We have a machine that can be sent home that has a little plastic tampon thing that goes inside and you practice kegels with it in.AAlso, ben wa balls are excellent for kegel practice. Look them up :)

The urologist can also prescribe specific meds made for incontinence. Do you have stress incontinence? That is when you leak urine when coughing, sneezing, etc. It won't last forever, but you need to seek out treatment to ensure that it does not. How many children do you have?
  • There is also another treatment option that can be given if other treatment areas fail for you. It is an electrode therapy treatment. 30 minutes per week. You go in, sit down and an acupuncture needle is inserted at the pressure point of your ankle. It sends electrical current and this helps to control your bladder issues. So many options available!
  • @captivated I only have 2 kids. I will have to ask at my pp apt next week and get a referral. It happens when I sneeze, cough, or have any pressure in my stomach. I don't notice that I have to pee until I sit down, and when I stand up I no longer have the sensation. Is the meds something I can take while bfing? I had a patient that took meds for her control issues and they always gave her uti's...and I don't want those!
  • I don't know about the breastfeeding. This can happen with just one child. So you do have stress incontinence. What about urgency? Frequency? Urinating at night? As for breastfeeding, i have no idea :(
  • @captivated I don't ever really have an urgency to go...I just have to remind myself that I should go pee...even after I've drank lots of water.. I don't have to go at night, but sometimes I might get up and go before I start nursing the baby.
  • Okay, that's definitely good. Def get that referral.