Mamas with Two Car Seats!

So our newest addition, Troy, will be arriving this Monday. We head into the hospital tomorrow afternoon. So in the preparing process, I went ahead and put his car seat in the car this afternoon. As yall know, I also have an 11 month old. She's ALWAYS sat in the middle seat of my car. Well we moved her seat (a frontward facing seat) behind the drives side and I strapped the base off Troy's car seat in the middle seat. Later I went to put his actual car seat in the base AND THEY BOTH DON'T FIT!!! What now?? Its not like I have a small car (new Chevy Malibu) so the backseat isn't really that small.

The only options I see are putting one seat behind the drivers seat and one behind the passengers seat, but I really don't want to do that or getting a new vehicle where both seats will fit.

What do you ladies with TWO car seats do? What kind of CAR do you have that both seats will fit in the backseat?

Comments

• The eddie bauer seats sit side by side. Your 11 mo old should still be rear facing tho right?
  • We put one behind the driver seat and one behind the passenger seat.
  • We put one behind each seat. I have a pontiac g6, and there's no more room at all in the back seat.
  • WELL, THERE'S JUST ENOUGH ROOM BETWEEN THEM FOR THE DIAPER BAG TO SQUEEZE IN, LOL!

(SORRY FOR THE CAPS, MY PHONE IS WEIRD AND GETS STUCK IN CAPS RANDOMLY..)
  • We put them behind each seat. I can squeeze the babys car seat in the center when I have to sit back there with them. We have a VW Passat. Even when I go with my mom they fit in her Volvo. They also fit side by side in my bfs uncles malibu.
  • @bexiewexie is your car seat really big? My bfs mom has a scion xb and our car seats fit perfect in it!
  • I have my boys on each side
  • We put one behind the driver and one behind the passenger. Youngest has to go behind the driver side. Idk but that is what the fire department in PA told us. The said putting car seats in the middle was the worst place due to shattering glass in their face. Also, they said that having the seats in front of the carseats keep them more secure. Everyone has different views on it and this is just what I have found out so we follow it. I have a dodge journey suv and 3 car seats wont fit side by side back there. In hubby 4 door chevy truck you can fit three car seats comfortably in back.
  • I think@Kindell is right. I could be wrong, but I think she still has to be rear facing. Here in Michigan they have to be rear facing until 2. We have one behind the driver and one behind the passenger. It should be fine.
  • Good question I was wondering the same thing. @1stWoodsBaby u commented on a post of mine I didn't realize you have an 11 month old I have a 14 month old
  • I believe in most states is just recommended they remain rear facing but not a law
  • @mom924 how did you find that out? I've tried looking for carseat laws in texas and can only find recommendations not actual laws
    I have a new malibu and if you put baby on the passenger side there's still plenty of room for the passenger (if my not in shape husband can fit in there anyone can) but if ya'll have the money then i'd just invest im a new car
  • Both mine fit. My 15 month old sits behind the drivers seat facing forward and my 3 month old sits I'm the middle and i have a Ford explorer. But i don't use the base for my 3 month Olds cause it doesn't feel secure to me. I just use the seat belt and it's way better
  • In florida and texas it is a law. 20lbs AND 1 yr old.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • In md it's 2 yrs now that they have to be rear facing. But we're switching my lo around at 1 cause his legs are getting squished!
  • Thanks for all the replies ladies! I had always thought that LO's needed to go in the middle so if the side doors were hit it wouldn't directly hit their seats. But it looks like I have no choice to put them behind each of the seats.

We live in TN and yes it is a law.. either 20 pounds or 1 year. Whichever comes first. She's 20 pounds. Plus we drive 4 hours every Sunday so a frontwards facing works better for us.

Thank you for all the input!
  • @kindell thank you for taking the time! I guess I don't know how to use google lol
  • The way I read it is 20lbs and 1 yr.
    http://www.tn.gov/safety/newCRD.shtml

@kimberly4411 your welcome :)
  • Most states are both
  • HA HA HA HA HA! I have FIVE car seats in my mini van - they're everywhere! Lol

I'm sorry, not laughing at you, laughing at myself. I would do one on each side though.
  • @wilsomom omg i bet that is a sight to see! Hoe long does it take you to get everyone buckled in? We have friends that have 7 kids (1 on the way). They are all 6th grade and under. They bought a commercial 15 passenger van for their family car..
  • It only takes 5 or 10 minutes, but I have 2 older ones that help with the littler ones. Lol I wish I had a passenger van! :)
  • Haha I have 3 toddler seats in the back of a lancer oz rally and its cramped but it works
  • I'm laughing, too. I had a Scion XD (a 4-door hatchback style). I freaked out when I got pregnant, because ONE carseat barely fit. I just traded it for an 8-passenger Honda Pilot. :-D
  • I have a prius v and two extended rear facing carseats fit with about six inches to spare. There was talk a little while ago about allowing a carseat in front (deactivating the airbag) for people who could not fit them in back. Idk if anything ever came out of it tho.