mastocytoma on my 1yr olds vagina..

edited September 2012 in Babies Health
Giana has to go see a dermatologist/plastic surgeon for what appears to be more of a stationary mastocytoma then a birth mark...our dr informed us of this being a possibility when she was first born but now wants it checked out. I'm so scared, she's only a year old I'm scared that they will want to remove it. It's causing her tremendous itching, she can't leave it alone...best part...its on her labia :-( I'm worried...and I've never heard of a plastic surgeon that also practices dermatology...HELP!!!

Comments

• What is a mastocytoma?
  • Poor baby girl! I'm sure once it's removed she will feel so much better though. Did he give you details of the procedure to remove it?
  • Poor baby! Did they say if you can use benedryl for the itchiness?
  • @steph_due_101611 its a mass cluster of white blood cells is how my dr explained it to me. We are going tomorrow to see if that's what it is bc that's what her dr thinks it is...we can use benedryl for the itchiness but it would be on a twice daily basis and my dr would rather remove it if that's what it is rather then constant creams and meds. She's itching so bad she's drawing blood. I have no details AT ALL on the procedure, I've only researched this and it seems that they will biopsy it first to see if that's truly what it is. @rtmommy @mijita
  • I'm glad the appt is soon, then! Make a list of questions so you don't get flustered at the office and forget to ask everything that's important to you. I hope it's nothing too difficult to get rid of. Hugs!
  • @rtmommy my first question is why the heck I just looked this dr up and his specialties are breast augmentation, face lifts, tummy tucks and reconstructive surgery...seems they paired me with a plastic surgeon not a dermatoligist...umm yea I don't think they understood why I'm coming in even though I called after my drs office scheduled the appointment just to confirm their qualifications...uh oh...not happy 5 month prego over protective mommy mode...
  • I wonder if he's double board certified. It wouldn't shock me. Plus, if it needs to be removed, he is going to do the best job with stitches so she will have a minimal scar, if any at all. And any doc can send it for pathology. Breathe and try not to think the worst just yet, hon. :)
  • @rtmommy his name is dr yanez in charlotte nc at piedmont plastic surgery and dermatology i was thinking the same thing but all im seeing is his plastic surgery certification, i do agree that if we get it removed hes my guy i just dont know if he is best to diagnose her...ya know?
  • i totally get it. the other thing is the practice has both specialties in it, so even if he doesn't recognize it, he can always have a dermatologist step in to consult :)
  • Maybe the scheduled with him so he could look at the removal and another doc will step in and consult also.
  • edited September 2012
    @blessedtxmom that's exactly what I found and would be comfortable with him if we decide to remove it but my dr asked for her to see a dermatologist first so I think his office or someone in this referral process screwed up. @rtmommy and @morgdeebee I'm hoping that they will do the derm consult tomorrow beore I meet with the surgeon if that makes sense., even though they told me he is who she is seeing.I feel that seeing the surgeon first is doing things backwards...I'm just nervous for her.
  • i get it :) i'm a worry wart, too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mama_kat when I did call the girl didn't seem to know much her response when I asked about his experience with dermatology was that he removes skin cancer sometimes...aahhh your right though I'm going to go, stay calm and then once I am there I can explain what I'm trying to accomplish and I was also thinking it may be due to the biopsy.
  • They are sending to to a plastic surgeon because if it needs to be removed he will be able to rebuild the area. I see a dermatologist on a regular basis and they have plastic surgeons in the office doing face lifts and all that good stuff. At the office I go to they work hand n hand.
  • Well as I suspected the plastic surgeon couldnt diagnose it i had to wait an extra hour for a derm to rush in for 30 secs and they ended up biopsying it because they didnt know what else to do...they should have done a scratch test first but now we will know in 2 weeks or less. Ill never use this office again
  • i don't understand why he didn't just remove it and send it off. that makes no sense. sorry they were lame :(
  • I don't think they want to have this doc diagnose it sounds like it really should be removed for her benefit u don't want it to bother her for the rest of her life. And plastic surgery would be the best way since it's so small. But I wish the best to you and hope your little gets relief soon!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.