What should I do?

I think I might be depressed. My mom thinks so anyways. Sometimes I am just fine. I am happy and loving everything. But most other times, I just want to cry. I feel so overwhelmed. It really hit me tonight when the baby was crying and I couldn't even bring myself to breastfeed her. I had to have my dh give her a bottle of formula I got from her pediatrician when we were trying to get her weight up. I don't know whats wrong with me. I love her so much and would never do anything to hurt her. I just feel so overwhelmed. I love breastfeeding her. She is such a good latcher. It's just to much sometimes. The doctor said to feed her on demand, but lately that seems to be every half hour or so and it lasts for nearly an hour. I'm at an impass right now. Help.

Comments

• Breast feeding is hard work especially when they cluster feed like that. But the cluster feeding only usually lasts a week or so then it's back to normal schedule. Being a new parent is overwhelming at times. I have an 11 month old and a 3yo and I get overwhelmed daily. If you need a quick break to get a handle on things put baby somewhere safe like her cot put some music on and take a few mins to make a coffee or something.
    If you feel it's something you can't resolve just by using a few coping techniques maybe talk to your doctor about your options.
  • You may be experiencing the baby blues. Keep an eye on your symptoms and if you become concerned, seek help. You can also take 3g of omega-3/day (aka. Fish oil), it has been shown to reduce the incidence of PPD. Also, make sure you are getting out, if even for a walk for some fresh air and sun light.

Hang in there. I do hope you feel better soon.