*I did it!!* I'm a mommy to an Earthly angel now! Warning: *long and pic heavy*

SHORT VERSION
Nicholas Jeremiah arrived September 21 @ 7:02 p.m. via cesarean. 5lb15oz 19 in.

LONG VERSION
If anything seems out of place, my apologies. I have already begun to forget some details so I am doing this as best as I can.

Because of my history, I had a scheduled induction. I checked into the hospital on Wednesday, September 19 at 7:00 p.m. They were to start Cervidil to begin priming my cervix and begin the Pitocin the following morning. Well apparently the hospital pharmacy was not on their P’s and Q’s because my Cervidil was not ready until nearly 11:00 p.m. Needless to say I was a little upset because I had lost hours that I could have been progressing. I was terrified of being a failed induction but also terrified of losing a nearly full term baby, so it was worth the risk of a failed induction to me.

Thursday morning, I was checked by the nurse and I was only a fingertip dilated. Not much progress and all. My OB came in to discuss my options with me. I chose to use that day to rest and retry Cervidil that night. I had a lot of hope that I would be successful induction and deliver vaginally so I remained optimistic. I could have chosen to go forward with the Pitocin but I did not want to risk having a c-section since my cervix was not quite favorable.

I used the day to rest and do a ton of walking. My husband and I also had sex (handrails in hospital bathrooms are quite useful).

That night around 7:45, Cervidil was administered again. Before placing it, I was checked again and I was at 2cm and 40% effaced, not great progress but it was start. Around 10, I went walking some more and contractions started up that night. I could not feel them but they were about 4-5 minutes apart and lasting about 20 seconds. The following morning, I was awakened around 5:30 to shower and have the Cervidil removed. Through the night I had more frequent contractions ranging around 2-3 minutes apart and lasting about 50 seconds. I slept right through them. I honestly wonder what kind of contractions were those that I weren’t feeling them. Strange! Anyways, after Cervidil was removed, I was checked and I was STILL 2cm and 40%. A total bummer that was, I already had a looming feeling of doom that things were not going to go as planned but I kept my fingers crossed.

When my morning shift nurse came in, I informed her that I had decided to try the Pitocin anyways and hope things progress from there. I made it clear though that I did not want my membranes ruptured at the same time that Pitocin was administered. I wanted to give the Pit time to work and see if my membranes would rupture on their own.
So I was hooked to Pitocin around 8 a.m., and things started to pick up. Around noonish I was at 5 cm and 70% effaced; my water was broken then, and at 2-3 p.m. I was 7 cm and 90%.

Around 5 is when things started to go left. Well actually as I labored, baby would have decels with contractions. They weren’t cause for concern or enough to push for delivery immediately but my nurse kept a watchful eye on it. Things became a problem when around 4:55 I was checked and baby was still at -1 station, LB just was not interested in coming down any further. Not only that, I had begun to progress backwards it seemed. My cervix was beginning to slightly swell, my OB and nurse both said I felt like I had gone to 6cm and 70% from all of the swelling.
I asked them to turn the Pit up once more to and to give me a chance to turn things around, as long as LB was doing fine and not in any distress. Mind you, the only thing I had the entire day was Demerol. So the pain was still very real, I was just drowsy and out of it enough to not even care that the pain was there. However by that time the Demerol was wearing off. So another hour or so had passed and still no positive progress. I was tired and in pain, I was just really ready to meet my little one. I had labored so hard for so long that the most important thing to me at that point was a safe delivery of my prize by whatever means. So, I went for the c-section. I had given up on LB coming vaginally.

Around 6:15 I was shaved, my stomach was cleansed with the antimicrobial solution and I was wheeled to OR. I was still feeling those contractions though and I was livid! lol It was like they couldn’t get me there fast enough. Once I was there, the spinal was administered and I immediately felt warm all over then suddenly tingly. I had help lying down and the procedure began with my husband right behind me. I was so scared and anxious for it to be over with.

The anesthesiologist was really kind and comforting and made me feel tons better and kept me informed on what was going on. He told me that I would soon feel tugging and lots of pressure. Well I barely felt any of that so I must have been numbed up really good but soon after I heard the most beautiful sound I ever wanted to hear----A CRY!!

Nicholas Jeremiah was born weighing in at 5lb15oz 19” at 7:02 p.m. on September 21, 2012!

Hearing him cry and knowing he was here and ours gave me the most amazing feeling I will never be able to put into words. My husband and I have gone through Hell and high waters to start a family and I thought it would never happen, but I will say everything that has happened to us up to this point has been well worth our struggles.

Oh and the cause for baby not coming down was his umbilical cord was short. Dr. said she did not measure it but it appeared to be about ½ the length of the average cord at delivery. As I was contraction, baby was having decels and it is a good possibility that was because he was pressing against the cord and since it was short, the oxygen was likely being restricted. The cord issue also explains his small size for an almost full-term baby. Regardless, he is here and healthy and my husband and I could not ask for more.

familyphoto_zpsd9c7a5b5
534235_10100418277924746_663720280_n1
404118_10100418278827936_510022739_n1
541286_10100418279062466_1201170583_n1
10559_10100418279202186_1605339764_n1
561551_10100418309780906_762512192_n1
425962_10100418309910646_800851185_n1

Thanks for taking the time to read/look! ♥

Comments