so annoyed!

edited September 2012 in Health
I seriously hate giving my child medicine! The first time we were prescribed something the dosage was wrong and it was for a 5 yr old instead of my 6MONTH old. After surgery once he was prescribed tylenol for pain and after I gave it to him he spiked a fever the nurse said that was impossible but when I gave him tylenol again he spiked another fever! Im not a dr. but I find it hard to believe it wasnt from the tylenol. Well thursday was Grays 9 month check he had just been getting over a diaper rash which I think was causedby the switching of wipes thanks to @mama_kat. After I switched b WA ck to huggies and used desitine it started clearing up right away. But the dr. seemed concerned with it and prescribed him Nystatin we used it thursday night after his bath and in the morning it loomed the same still a little pink. I put more PO n that morning and two hours later he was screaming bloody murder I went to check.his diaper and it was now burning red so painf to touch I.had to throw him in a bath instead. I called the nurse and explained it to her. She said it was very unlikely the medicine would do that. Even though the drug sheet I was given with the prescription says if redness and irritation occurs stop use and contact dr. the nurse told me to continue use anyway. I used it one more time. Well he woke up from his nap yesterday screaming and sure enough it got worse. Now the tip of his penis is raw and he is in so much pain! This has never happened before and even when he would get diaper rashes he never fussed or seemed in pain. I called the pharmacy today and they said that that medicine would never do that but to stop using since he has an open wound now. Ugh I wish I could rewind and not use the,cream just to see if this would have happened anyway. I dont understand why they,are saying it would never happen if there is a warning on the drug label! I hate seeing my baby in pain!

Comments

• Of course the medication can cause that. It is called being allergic to the medication just as all other medication allergies. It depends on the individual. Sounds like he is allergic to the nystatin and possibly the Tylenol. Maybe not the Tylenol itself, but the additives in the liquid suspension.

Seems to me that LO has some very sensitive allergies to meds.
  • edited September 2012
    I agree with captivated although my daughter has never had a problem with tylenol, I cannot use any type of diaper rash cream on her. I have to use vasoline or just let it dry out and keep a dry diaper on her. It sounds like he has some bad allergies so keep that in mind when you introduce foods to him.
  • edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2012
  • I think nystatin for thrush is crap :( Never worked for me. I went all natural with vinegar mixture and baking soda and it cleared up immediately. Gentian violet is great to.

In the future, watch carefully If he receives any antibiotics. Because of his reactions already, I would worry about any other reactions!
  • edited September 2012
  • Poor Gray. I think he needs some old fashioned naked baby time :) Expose his booty to air and just let him be free. When he has a diaper on, you could do desitin with A&D on top so his poor weenie doesn't stick to the diaper. Plus the A&D is super healing anyway. Hope he feels better quickly!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @captivated I know! thanks I feel like they.think its impossible to be allergic to something just bc a small % of people are. And im already freaked about using other meds now...

@gatorbob good idea I will try something like that and keep in mind about the thrush! Thank you.

@mama_kat the nurse actually said to give him the tylenol again a few days later to see if it happened again but it was an exhausting week with his surgery I just left it alone. But the next time I have to give it to him ill keep an eye. As long as its not for a fever. I hope Taryn feels better! & I know I didnt mention this but I know its not from food bc the rash is not on his butt at all it was only on his penis area and creases of the front of his legs, like where the diaper rubs.

@mom2ing thank you. I was actually thinking the same thing. This rash didnt seem any different from any other diaper rash he has had and it was almost gone when the dr. saw him I should havejust said ill wait a couple days before using the nystatin.

@rtmommy thank you :) and that is what my mom keeps saying..so after his bath the ast couple night I let him air dry for about 45 minutes

Update. so we stopped the nystatin completely and went back to desitine which has always worked and this morning when I went to change him it is almost all better! Its not even pink anymore it just looks a little rough like you can tell he is just getting over a rash but definately the best it has looked in a week! Thanks for all the advice ladies! Im glad he is not in pain anymore!
  • Good :) So happy he's getting better so quickly!
  • @rtmommy thanks me too! his diaper rashes normally dont last long and I know its bc of that medicine. When I changed him for the second time today his skin looks a little flakey and obviously the raw part still has some healing to do so ill ive him a bath tonight and hope its even better in the morning:)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.