hospital policy

edited October 2012 in Health
Currently I'm spending my second night in hospital with my 11 month old daughter that is sick and needing oxygen. Last night she slept with me all night since she has been poked and prodded and is totally miserable and wouldn't settle in the cot here. Tonight I finally manage to get her to sleep in there and an hour later the nurse comes to check her obs and wakes her. She was trying to be gentle/quiet but my daughter is so jumpy because of what she has been through already since being here something wakes her. The nurse apologised and I said it was fine I would just have her come sleep with me... I was then informed its against hospital policy to co-sleep and I would not be allowed to sleep while holding her... I'm now laying here with my sick baby comforting her and trying to get her to sleep thinking who the f*ck are they to tell me what I can and can't do with my daughter. She won't sleep in the cot now since she is now scared of it and I'm not staying awake all night because they say I have to since I have dealt with 6+ other nurses during our stay who never mentioned this policy or requested that I put my daughter in the cot. I was woken by 3 other nurses last night checking on her that had no issue with her being in my bed... now I don't know how to handle this nurse if she gets pushy about it... I'm so mad

Comments

• Aw poor baby!! That is weird that the other nurses didnt mention it! They probably have children and understand what your poor baby is going through! I kind of understand why no co sleeping is not allowed there though they dont want to be held responsible if something happens and she falls of the bed or something. But how old is she?
  • She is 11 months. I understand it, but it's not practicable when it's the pediatric department and children are scared shitless then you expect them to sleep in a new bed with none of their normal bedding in crazy and noisy surroundings...
  • Tell her to kiss your ass... :-)
  • Poor baby! It seems like she's in the wrong, I'd ask another nurse or talk to the one in charge, Be careful though, as sad as it is, i've heard hospitals calling cps on the mom when she didn't agree to what they were saying/wanting
  • edited October 2012
    That is weird wen my baby 3 months she was hospitalized for 3 days they never evn asked if i wanted to put her n the crib she never left my bed once. I wuld ask her dr or a couple of the other nurses or whoever is in charge
  • Yea I agree and I can see if she was a newborn but 11 months is a different story. I hope this nurse is off shift soon and you two get some sleep. I would also do what pp said :)
  • I would seriously tell her fuck off
  • When my daughter had surgery at 5 1/2 months the nurses told me that she had to sleep in the little baby hospital bed also. There was no way she would have ever in slept in that bed, the only way I could get her to sleep was to rock her in a chair or if she was laying on my chest. They actually brought a somewhat normal sized bed in her room so I could sleep with her. Maybe mention that to them? It's pretty obvious that people that make these stupid hospital rules have never had their baby in the hospital.
  • I would be so mad when my son has been in the hospital I have held him on the bed with me. Ive asked to have extra pillows to put around the rails just in case. And they dont give me any ish. I would be so angry. I would keep doing it then if ahe says something again i would ask to speak with someone above her.
  • Omg I'm so glad I'm not alone!! I'm tried and grumpy and wasn't sure if I was just being a b*itch lol
    @graysonsmommy
    @cristinalynn
    @Kimberly4411
    @Mrz_Jackson
    @Janet_2011
    @Bertrang14 I have an almost normal size bed its a fold out. Every time she coughs she wakes and looks for me and when she realises she isn't in my arms she looks so scared
  • Tell her that if you are not allowed to cosleep, you will sign out AMA!
  • I had that with my little boy about that age the nurse even put the iv the other side of his cot so i couldnt lay in bed with him. The next time she came in i told her to move the iv so we could get some rest i must have used a angry tone she moved the iv and didnt question me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.