excema help please =]

edited October 2012 in Babies Health
I just found out my 10 month old has excema. The Dr didn't elaborate on it so I was hoping anyone with experience or insight could fill me in on it! Anything that sets it off? Any tricks to help it from getting bad? Any otc cream? He has been prescribed a steriod cream to use for two weeks...but what do I do after that? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I use the prescribed cream then lotion (i use aveeno) on top of that my pedi an dermotologist sed to do this it locks it in then after the 2 wks jus the lotion water an grass is the only thing ive noticed that really gets my daughters goin bad. My pedi recommended dove body wash an euciderm lotion
  • I was told coconut oil helps I have not tried it because I can't afford it but I just use lotion
  • Oh honey my son has an aggressive form so here we go:
    1) Epsom salt baths
    2) cover spots in vaseline or baby oil gel depending on tolerance
    3) let baby air dry as much as possible (no powders
    4) aaaand prescription meds worst case scenario. Lol my son has steroid meds.
  • Oh I just saw he was on meds, too! After you put his medicine on cover with the vaseline or gel!
  • Try calundula (not sure if i spelt that right) but its all natual and its from the brand California Baby. You can get it at Target.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mrsstanley_x2 how Much Epsom salt in the bath?

Wonder if the coconut oil would work....would I just rub it on?

@homebirthadvocate where do I get the pills at?

Also, he only has it on his back. Is it common for it to remain to one area, or will it eventually spread?

Thanks everyone!
  • My kids always started in one area then spread
  • I use hydrocortisone cream for 2 days whenever Kaylee has it.
  • Just a handful usually works! Varies depending on water level. Lol
  • For when it's just starting the aveeno eczema therapy lotion works really well. When it starts to break out my I use the hydrocortizone ointment on it and it clears up withing a couple of days.
    Also depending where it is, bag balm is AMAZING. I have it so bad on my hands that they crack and bleed and I coat them in bag balm and cover them in socks, and sleep like that and the next morning they ate very smooth.
  • My son would always get an outbreak if he got too hot. I would smother him in creamy vaseline while still wet after a bath. Doing it while still wet helps keep the moisture in.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have eczema and I use hydrocortisone ointment. I swear by that stuff. My son has it too and that's what I use on him. That and Cetaphil lotion.
  • dont forget a cooler bath, rather than warmer.

We need an updated profile pic! :)
  • Is hydrocortisone cream safe this early?
  • @caroline8_p thanks for the tip! The doctor didn't mention that! Annnd If you can remind me how to update the picture I would love to show off a new pic of my handsome man. Ps. I have the song sweet Caroline stuck in my head now! Lol
  • yes, malia got the cream at 6 mo.
  • Lol, so many people mention the song. lol.
    To change your pic, log on to the website, click your profile, option to change is listed under the puc.. orrr mama_kat can change it for you if you email it to her.
  • Ok...the excema has cleared up with just three days of the steriod cream, do I continue to use it for two weeks as directed or should I stop and use something else?

@Caroline8_p finally got a new pic!
  • When my son's eczema got really bad ha pedi recommended the hydrocoritizome ointment. A very light layer on the area, not too much. She said the ointment not the cream which I found at CVS. But I use the cream on my hands and it is amazing. Also I agree with the cetaphil for day to day use. LOVE that stuff.
  • Will try the cetaphil. A lot of people around Here said to use dove sensitive body wash on him. Right now I use aveeno soothing oatmeal wash. it says on the back that it resolves enema but I've been using it for months and it never helped. Should I try the dove?
  • I wuld try the dove the aveeno wash never did anythang for my kids either
  • I used the dove sensitive no fragrance white bar soap. Not liquid.

Cute pic btw!! <3

Now I wash her with aveno.
  • @mrs_Jackson yeah we use aveeno wash and lotion and it obviously hasn't helped!

@caroline_pThanks! And the bar soap didn't dry out her skin?