thermometers

What thermometer do you ladies suggest? I have a regular digital, but my daughter won't sit still long enough to get a reading (and I think its broken anyway..) and I have the binky kind, but now she won't leave that in long enough either.. she just bites the tip and lets it hang out of her mouth. And I kind of wonder how to clean it since I have two kids that will need to use it.

I'm willing to invest in a good, quick thermometer because I'll have to be using it for a while, so has anyone tried those expensive ones that you sweep across their forehead?

Comments

• In my opinion, no, they are not accurate. Many studies have been done and many doctors recommending against their use. However, it is debatable. It is really up to which research you choose to believe.
  • I have a Vicks thermometer...shows a reading in 5 seconds.
  • @captivated yeah, I can see how it could be inaccurate.

@Ericak22 where do you use it (mouth, underarm, etc), where can I get it, and how was the price?
  • You can use it for all 3. I paid $12 for it at CVS. It has 3 different colors it lights up for temps. Green means normal, yellow means its moderatly high, and red means its high.
  • edited October 2012
    Maybe check into the kind they use atthe doctor.. the one that goes in the ear. They are fairly quick.
  • edited October 2012
    I have the exergen temporal thermometer. Its awesome!! Every doctor I ever went to uses that same thermometer And it reads right after you swipe.
  • There is also a $5 mail in rebate going around for that thermometer. Its about $50 but worth every penny.
  • I'm not sure the kind I have at home and work"day care" but its at babies r us. $8.99 and reads in 8 sec. works great! I use it for under arm so you add a degree!
  • I use the same one @mommylovessparkle ! I used a 50% off coupon at babies r us, abd only paid $25!
  • @Ericak22 so It doesn't give you a numerical temp?

@1stwoodsbaby I was thinking about one of those, but I didn't know if the at-home ones worked as quickly.

@blessedtxmom I guess mine is either cheap or broke.. it gets to about 96 degrees and then takes forever to go any higher. I even tried it on myself and after about 10 minutes under my tongue, I still didn't get a normal body temp!

@mommylovessparkles and @ashley_smashley that's the one you swipe on their forehead? You don't ever miss that one spot that you're supposed to get for accurate readings?? That's what I worry about..

@Leviluv8 thanks! For 9 bucks, I could try itţ
  • Yes it give you the temp as well
  • @Ericak22 oh, okay. I'LL CHECK IT OUT!
  • I do sometimes but you can easily do it again. Plus it gives an accurate reading no matter what as long as you swipe it across the forehead :)

@ashley_smashley that's awesome! I bet you were very happy!