Hey @mijita

edited October 2012 in Food
If I only ate 905 calories today (of course I'm sure that's not *exact*, but you know) then should I eat something before I go to bed or should I have just ate more earlier and it's too late now?

Comments

• Technically until you go to sleep for the night you can consume your calories. If you are hungry, eat! :)
  • That's good news, I've just always heard that you shouldn't eat too close to bed time. Idk why I didn't eat much today...stress! Lol :)
    @mijita
  • I wouldn't worry so much if its not a heavy or fat laden snack. They mostly say that because of GERD, and of course for those that overeat and eat fatty meals.
  • edited October 2012
    Ooops, I just ate 3 pieces of Dark Chocolate Bliss. X_X
    lol @mijita
  • Sorry to jump in, but I've always heard 'dont eat after it gets dark'. Is that a false idea? @mijita
  • edited October 2012
    Ha ha ha, @wilsomom. Don't worry, you don't make a habit of it. Enjoy!

@1stWoodsBaby; It depends what notion they are using it for. If for weight loss, then yes it can help. We continue burning calories even at rest. If you don't eat after dark then you've most likely gone several hours of eating before going to bed. Your body is them forced to use reserved energy as a fuel source. Our liver stores up about a days worth of glycogen, stored form of glucose and will mostly draw from there. The logic is that you'll use the foods you eat more efficiently and prevent unwanted weight gain. The caveat is that you need to practice good eating habits. If you eat Mc Donalds all day long, you are defeating the purpose.

Make sense?
  • I posted a link here a couple weeks ago that I felt was as accurate an assessment of daily caloric requirement; give or take about 10%. It takes into account your gender, current weight, age and activity level. Remember, you need to eat food to lose weight, I can't stress that enough. Let me bump the threads for you, go through them, as they may be insightful.

The slower the weight comes off, the healthier and less likely that you'll put it back on in a short amount of time. I would encourage no more than 2 lbs/week, although when you start a weight loss program (aka. Change of lifestyle) you may encounter rapid weight loss in the first couple weeks. Slow changes allows for learning and adaption, so that you feel less deprived.

I find that most need to learn patience, this is the demon of all weight loss efforts. You did not gain your weight overnight, so don't expect it to come off overnight. Others will most likely notice before you do.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

@Reneerose0828
  • @reneerose0828 no problem! Let's just make this a thread for asking mijita all our nutrition questions. Lol :D

Just kidding @mijita ;)
  • Since I can't get to the gym lately, can I just stinking run in place or something?! Lol I don't do videos.

@mijita
  • Its ok not to go to the gym every single day. Don't be so hard on yourself, as the body needs rest. Running in place works, but so does a brisk walk around the block or even around the house. :)
  • I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks! Eeeek! I can't really go around the block briskly with 6 kids in tow. Ha ha :D
    @mijita
  • Lmaoooo. Gawd that painted a picture and made me laugh!

You tube some exercise videos, if you have Netflix, they have videos there. They have a free month promotional trial.
  • edited October 2012
    I know, I was laughing too lol, I'll try youtube, that's a good idea! :) I have netflix too.
    @mijita
  • @Mijita Well if your a dietician I need to get to know you better. I have a extreme weight problem. Well I have dropped 57lbs after my daughter was born but I still need to drop alot.
  • @AishaMusa; First you need to ask yourself how serious you are and how committed you'll be. Once you are ready, and have made this self assessment then you need to start tracking your food. Keep a diary for about a week. Taking note of time and portion size. You can further note how you felt after each meal or snack. Once the week is up, assess where your trouble spots are and focus on those.

The best strategy is to focus on one change at a time, until you have acclimated to the change. Then incorporate another change. Weight loss is hard work and you need to be diligent and patient.

Do you have an idea where you would like to start?
  • I think that's my biggest issue is self esteem it's better now but I have had a huge issue with all my life.. I guess that's my first step to figure out,,,@majita
  • Have you thought of joining us on MyFitnessPal?

@AishaMusa
  • Didn't know that exsisted, I wouldn't mind trying that...@mijita