OMG MIRENA!

Ok, so this is probably what I get for not doing more research BEFORE getting the Mirena. But I'm having some problems with it right now, so I go to their official webpage....and this is what I find!!!

"Mirena is more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. While there's no single explanation for how Mirena may work, most likely it prevents pregnancy in several ways.

Mirena may:

Thicken cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering your uterus
Inhibit sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg
Make the lining of your uterus thin
Mirena may stop the release of your egg from your ovary, but this is not the way it works in most cases. Most likely, these actions work together to prevent pregnancy. Like other forms of birth control, Mirena is not 100% effective."

They don't even know how it works!!! Seriously? Stick this thing up your hoo haw and we're not exactly sure what it does...but you probably won't get pregnant, oh and btw if you do....it could kill you and the baby. Ummmm....wth was I thinking!! Ugh. I don't know what to do. I want to get the damn thing taken out! TMI but it's making things a bit...uncomfortable down there, but I don't have many other birthcontrol options! I kept forgetting the pill and was liable to get pregnant sooner rather than later which is why we got the mirena in the first place. Ugh. I'm stuck. And to top it all off while I was looking for answers for the one problem I come accross tons of other stories of other symptoms I've been experiencing that I chalked up to getting older and/or being a mom that others have had while using it and went away after they got it out!

Comments

• Hun, they aren't sure how most bc works. Same with the pill. They say it at times stops ovulation, but multiple things can occur to prevent a pregnancy :)
  • What's your problem with it? I had it for four years! I loved it!
  • I love it! Had paraguard and had horrible pain all the time.
  • edited October 2012
    You would be very surprised to find out how many medication's mechanism of action is unknown. When I did drug cards throughout nursing school, MANY of them were "unknown". They work, but they don't know how they work! ;)
  • As long as it works I don't really care lol. Ive had two back to back(three if you count my miscarriage) pregnancies and I needed my IUD! You shouldn't have pain if your doctor placed it right. :(
  • I had the Mirena for about 3 months and I hated it. It does prevent pregnancy,but I could not stand how I felt while I had that thing in me. I took mine out by myself and the next day I had a Doctor appointment for my PPD and I told her what I had done and how I'm scared of infection and she laughed at me and said "Well what did you do?Just stick your hand up there and get it out?" I said yeah and she said"Well that's how we would have done it here,so your not going to get an infection." She said "Are you hurting or bleeding at all?" I said no. I feel great. So she said I am fine. She also did a pelvic to make sure I didn't rip out my cervix and everything is fine. I also saved about $200. I am not telling you that anyone who does the self-removal at home is gonna be okay,but this was just my story. I didn't like it,so I took it out. Never again will I get any IUD or Birth Control. If I have another baby,then it happens. But I'm not going to go to great lengths just to prevent it either. Condoms work just fine :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Minecame right out!!!
  • I have one and I love it and cant feel it at all
  • I want another form of BC but Idk what to get. I wanted the Depo but I've herd that the shot does something to your bone marrow or something and I got scared Lol I've just been using condoms so if I get pregnant then Oh well Lol