steroid cream causing vomiting?

edited October 2012 in Babies Health
My son was put on steroid cream for excema, this is the fifth day. Since yesterday he has been kinda lethargic and has just wanted held. Now today he's had diarrhea and has vomited and won't eat. Could this be because of the cream? Or just a tummy flu?

Comments

• My son didn't have any reaction to his steroid medicine for his eczema. It's possible, but I'd say flu!
  • My kids never had a reaction either but all 3 of them an my cuzins baby are sick with fevers an diarrhea so def culd be a tummy bug
  • No one else is sick. He goes to an in home daycare one day a week and I just called to see if either of the other two kids are sick, she said theyve had fevers and runny noses but no tummy issues. Could he have the same thing but be affected differently? I feel so horrible for him!
  • Steroid creams are notorious for causing bad reactions like this. I will post a link.
  • @captivated thank you! My whole family thinks I'm crazy for thinking its the cream!
  • Of course it can be. It is a medication. All medications can cause allergic reactions :)
  • I hope this passes Soon! Poor guy only ate once today, and threw up what he did, and had maybe 8 oz of formula. We're slowly having so pedialyte now!
  • Skin cells provide a physical barrier, sort of like bricks and mortar, to keep the bad things out – most of the time. The cells aren’t as tightly packed as real bricks though, which means things can squeeze by and penetrate.
    The bad news is that strong chemicals can penetrate sensitive or thin skin, cause an allergic reaction, and dangerously flood your bloodstream. Hydrocortisone significantly increased the chances of a number of viruses to infect human blood cells and has even been known to cause blood poisoning.
    Then, when you apply hydrocortisone cream to sensitive spots such as the eyelids, armpits, and groin (all places where eczema, rashes, and allergic reactions are particularly common), skin is thinner and more folds exist, so skin hits skin often, which can cause medications to penetrate more deeply.
    These areas are also prone to stretch marks, irritation, hypo-pigmentation (lightening), and “a crinkly, cigarette-paper” appearance.
    Continued use of topical steroid creams containing hydrocortisone can cause the skin to develop a resistance (called tachyplaxis) to the medication. As a result, in order to have the desired medical effect, a stronger and more potent steroid may be needed, which may cause even more potential side effects.
    These side effects may include: thinning of the skin, easy bruising, permanent dilation of certain blood vessels, burn marks on skin, liver and kidney damage and a weakened immune system.
    http://elev8.com/211835/the-hidden-dangers-of-eczema-steroid-creams/

I know giving your baby Hydrocortisone or any other form of steroid creams might seem harmless right? That's what you think now, and as you read this article you will soon start to see how potentially dangerous, the use of steroid creams, or similar medication might be for your infant.

You see the problem with using things like that is anything that contains steroids that is constantly used on a baby's skin, is too strong for them and can have damaging effects. For this reason, they shouldn't be used constantly, and continually for a long period of time.

And what does this mean for parents who have a baby that's dealing with eczema? It means it will only work for a short period of time, and can't be used for long periods. Their skin isn't supposed to be exposed to something so strong, considering how soft and fragile their skin is.

If those things are used for a long term solution or for a long period of time constantly, this is what can happen. The outer layer of their skin will become very thin, and will cause their condition to be worse as they grow through the years. They call this affect "thinning of the skin".

This will cause their skin to become irritated quicker than usual, and the pain from a breakout will be more severe. Being a parent you want to avoid this, as this can mean more costly trips to the doctor. Handling babies with eczema, is very different from handling an adult or teen with eczema.

Adults and teens skin are mature enough to handle such things, as for a baby their skin is not. That's why it is crucial and important to care for your child differently.

A common side effect of corticosteroids is vomiting and stomach upset

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4072796
  • @captivated thank you sooo much!