HELP!_advise and expertise needed

So one of my best mommy-friend's (a seriously wonderful mom, friend and human being) brother (who was just as wonderful as his sister) passed away 3 weeks ago at the age of 35 from a massive heart attack while working on an oil-rig in ND. In addition to their 3 living children, his wife (a sahm) is now 8 months pregnant (7 months at the time of her husband's passing). The family (originally from MI) is understandably devastated.

My friend and her mother have finally gotten through the red-tape associated with setting up a memorial fund. Now, it's time to raise funds. My bf and I have been offering yard & house work and odd jobs for our neighbors for donations to the memorial fund. In January, I will be donating all proceeds from my individual tax-return preparation services to the fund. In the meantime, I've been trying to think of ways to raise money for the family.

Both bf and I have experience volunteering with NPOs. So we're comfortable soliciting individuals and businesses. But, it's different when you have a well-known organization's name to drop... Does anyone have any experience with fundraising for a private/personal cause? Any advise?

Comments

• I am trying to do some fudraising for my daughters cancer treatments. I am doing one next month. I am not sure where they are from but I am having it at Buffalo Wild Wings (if they have them there and if that one offers it) but I went in and met with the manager and chose a date to have it. He is sending me coupons to hand out to people to come eat on the date that i chose. everyone that comes in to eat with the coupon 10% of their food bill will go to my daughter.
    If they don't have a buffalo Wild Wings its worth looking into see if any other places would do something similar.
    Its easy and all people have to do is show up with the coupon and have dinner!
  • @mallory27 applebee's does that too! We had someone bring flyers into work for something like that.
  • @mallory27 & @trixiesmom8 thanks, I was thinking about contacting bars and restaurants with a proposal like that.

@mallory27 good luck with Makenzie's benefit dinner! (I've been thinking about and praying for the two of you a bunch lately!)
  • @Math_Mommy Thank you :-)
    @trixiesmom8 Thanks I didn't know they did that. I'll have to look into doin one there maybe too.
    I think people are more willing to be able to donate by just going to dinner then going to a benefit and feeling obligated to have to give money. Times are tuff for everyone but ya gotta eat!
  • U can leave buckets with a pic at stores or car wash
  • @Roxy we put flyers at a few businesses and we have one bucket at local bakery. He was a big music guy, so I'd love to have a benefit concert or something
  • @blessedtxmom that is so sad; I'm so sorry for your mil and her friend!
  • That's so sweet of you.
  • @mallory27 exactly!! Plus I think it would bring in a bigger lunch crowd instead of buffalo wild wings.