rules?

edited October 2012 in Parenting
When should you start having consequences for breaking the rules or not obeying? My daughter is 13 months old, and I need her to learn some rules, but don't know how responsive she would be to discipline besides telling her no and redirecting, which isn't working to well anymore.

On a side note, she's so silly! She eats (clean) wipes and hangs anything she cam from her bottom teeth, Lol.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Does she know what no means yet? If you can teach her what no means, then you'd be able to simply tell her no at whatever the offense is. My 13 month old knows that no means a smack on the hand or rear. (pain basically) so now that he knows that, I usually only have to say no and that's all. It just took a day or two for him to learn it. At that age, they're not able to understand any rational reasoning, but they can understand they don't like pain and if no means a little pain, then they stop when you say no. You have to literally associate the word no with pain. I hope that doesn't sound horrible! Hopefully you know what I mean...lol. I'm not talking about huge amounts of pain or child abuse here! :)
  • @mama_kat it took me a while to realize she was hanging stuff from her teeth, Lol.

I did a little experiment today with the "no" thing. We were at a friend's house, and when Mia would get into something that she didn't need to be playing with, I let my friend tell her no.. and low and behold, it only took one or two times of no and redirecting to get her to leave it alone. Sooo.. she's not listening to ME. I try to let her explore as much as possible at home, there's just a few things that I would like for her to leave alone. When she gets into something she's not supposed to and I tell her no and redirect, she goes right back to it! Even if I pop her, she does her little crying and I let her sit in my lap and tell her why she got in trouble (even tho I know she doesn't understand that part, Lol), and when I put her down she goes right back to it! I guess I need to be more consistent, because that's the only thing I can see I'm doing wrong. Unless she's just going to be a hard headed one... lovely.

@wilsomom
  • She might think its a game with you. I tell Malia No Maam! She is 13 mo too. if she doesnt listen, I give her something she likes to play with.