son hit head, help please

edited October 2012 in Babies Health
My son fell backwards twice. He hit his head hard both times. And he has a lump on the back of his head...big but not huge. It happened right before bed time so he was already really tired and fell asleep about a half hour after. It's taking a lot to get him to stir in his sleep, and it took me saying his name anf tickling him and flopping his arms for a minute to sale him up. But he was VERY tired. We were shopping all day and he only got a half hour nap ALL day. Do I need to take him to get checked? He was fine and playing and happy before he fell asleep and only cried for less than a minute each time he hit his head. PLEASE HELP

Comments

• He's probably ok. Just exhausted from a long day, but you can always get him checkex to be safe. Your his mother. Its your call.
  • When my son hit his head I was worried too about him being so tired after. His doctor said to look for lethargic behavior, whether or not he eats well and can keep down what he eats. Ice what you can of his bump. It is too bad he was so sleepy cause then you can't be sure what exactly it is that made him tired. However, my son's Dr also said hitting his head CAN be tiresome. The difference is just plain sleepiness or lethargic, drooping eyes, can't focus, etc.
    Hope this is helpful but if you truly are concerned at least give the on call Dr a call and they can let you know whether or not you should bring him on to be seen.
  • I've always heard if its a bump out its ok, if It's a dent in its bad. He is probably just exhausted. I would just stay awake for a while and keep checking on him. I freak out every time my Lo hits her head but she has always been ok. It's your call, if he was playing and not acting differently before he fell asleep that's a good sign.