colic

edited October 2012 in Babies Health
Anyone deal with a colicky baby? My son is 4 weeks old. He is so happy and alert during the day and cries constantly at night. I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Give him 2 oz of chamomile tea daily with a little karo syrup. It works my daughter was like that too
  • My daughter was colicky. She would cry all day long tho:'( our pediatrician changed her formula twice and it didn't help finally he recommended Similac alluementum (sp?) and she did great totally diff baby. We did also find out she had underdeveloped silia and it was causing her to have reflux. We had her on Zantac prescribed by the Dr and that helped.
    Is he breastfed or formula? Maybe ask your pediatrician for some info...if formula fed they might switch him...or possibly look into if it could be reflux. I know its hard my daughter would cry for hours on end...I'd drive around to get her to sleep only to get home and she would wake up...it very frustrating.
  • My son has it. He's on soy formula, gas drops and gripe water. Although it didn't completely stop, it's tolerable now. And he sleeps in his cry swaddled on his boppy so he's always angled
  • @sehra4177 He's on similac sensitive. I tried sticking to the Dr brown bottles and slow flow nipples and using pre made formula. I tried letting him sleep in his swing last night and he slept from 11-4 ate a little then fell right back to sleep and its almost 8 and he's still sleeping! The music definitely soothed him too!
    @victoriarenee I use the gas drops with him.
  • Ok, usually the sensitive is good but the allimentum is even more broken down and is easier to digest...crazy expensive but it saved my sanity. But if he is sleeping better than maybe stick with it.also my daughters tummy is could actually feel the gas bubbles popping...lay him on his tummy for a bit (supervised of course) or lay him on his back and push his legs up to his tummy that helps with gas alot. My six mo old had gas early on I'd actually hold him with him facing away from me with my fist in his belly...and oh boy he'd fart like a grown man lol he def felt better after. Also white noise machine did wonders with my daughter..the shushing sound mimics the sound of your blood vessels...so it reminds the baby of being in your tummy

http://www.regardingbaby.org/2012/05/05/is-the-happiest-baby-on-the-block-the-most-oppressed-why-im-not-a-fan-of-the-5-s-method-of-calming-crying-babies/ about halfway down it explains the shushing:)

• Mine started at 6 weeks. We changed her formula to nutramigen and dr browns bottles. We noticed a difference right away.
  • I gave my son gripe water and that didn't stop it all together, but it helped dramatically