2% Milk isn't 98% Fat Free

edited October 2012 in Health
Thirty-five percent of its calories come from fat. They can call it 98% fat free (by weight) only because of its water content. Low fat milk is NOT a low fat food and neither are low fat cheeses and other low fat animal foods. The USDA plays a sad trick on Americans by calculating the fat content by WEIGHT rather than by CALORIES.

Example: Take 1 teaspoon of melted butter, which gets it's calories 100% from FAT. Now, mix it in a glass of hot water and you can say it's 98% fat-free....by WEIGHT. 100% of it's CALORIES are still from fat, it doesn't really matter how much water you add to it does it?

Incidentally, 49% of the calories in whole milk are from FAT.

Comments

• this is exactly true, I work in the school district, running the business aspect of all the cafeterias (I'm not a lunch lady) and we have to follow all of the USDA guidelines and Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act. All milk that we serve has to be fat free, there is no 2% allowed, unless a doctors note is given.
  • Yay! I'm so glad to see your school district adopts that, because a lot of schools don't! @my2boys
  • @mijita I'm sure you'll like this too lol ;)
  • But wouldn't fat from milk be a "healthy fat"? Not like the fat in, say, bacon but like the fat in nuts? @mijita please correct me if I'm way off base here!
  • No, because it's mostly saturated fats. Healthy fats are found mostly in flaxseeds, walnuts & soybeans.
  • Oh, okay.. gotcha! ;)