UTI... :(

edited October 2012 in Postpartum Health
How do you treat it?

Comments

• I think antibiotics
  • edited October 2012
    When I feel one coming on I pound the fluids, including whole natural cranberry juice. If you have a true infection then you need to treat the bacteria with antibiotics. If you are pregnant then treatment is a MUST!
  • Antibiotcs and increase fluid intake with pure water and cranberry juice :)
  • @tashalou @Mijita I'm not pregnant. But do I need to go to the doctor or is there anything over the counter? Thanks mommas :)
  • There are otc meds that can help with symptoms of a uti if you can't get to a doctor right away... but you still need to go to the doctor though!
  • I would because you risk the bacteria infecting your kidneys. I hope you feel better soon.

They have AZO products that help alleviate discomfort, but they only help with symptoms, not the problem.
  • edited October 2012
    I'm a urology nurse...don't try to self-treat a UTI because you need to have a culture done of your urine to find out what bacteria the infection is and what antibiotics are sensitive and resistant to it. Your regular doc or a urologist can do this, but usually you won't see a urologist unless you have frequent UTIs (4+ in six months). If you self-treat improperly, you run the risk of developing a kidney infection like @mijita said. Also, like she said, you can buy OTC products like pyridium (AZO uti pain relief) that will turn your urine orange/red and numb up your urethra. Make an appointment with your PCM and try to drink 2L of water/day to flush out your system.
  • However...IF you did try to self treat...Ciproflaxin and Macrobid are commonly used and effective at treating UTI's.