Goats milk

edited October 2012 in Babies Health
Lily had get 15 month check-up yesterday and something was brought to my attention. Granted, I've yet to hit the literature on this topic, but thought I'd share what was said to me.

Her Dr. went through routine questions then came upon nutrition. I explained that Lily was not fond of whole milk and preferred to drink goats milk and that she's only drinking about a quart every 4-5 days. She said she prefers babies not to strictly use goats milk without a medical need because it may (most always) cause a vitamin B deficiency. She said if I choose this route that she would like Lily to be supplemented. I told her she gets plenty of fruits and veggies and she was adamant that it didn't matter. I'll be researching this! Just thought I'd let you know.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate; she said that goats milk is deficient in B vitamins.

I'll let you know what I find.
  • Ooh will be following!!
  • edited October 2012
    I'm so sorry @HomeBirthAdvocate, I read your response and answered in haste, lol. I was rushed. I sure hope I didn't come across snotty. :)

She didn't say, but if I had to take an educated guess I would have to say it has to do with the bioavailability of the vitamins in organic sources and the immaturity of the GI of young children (infants). That is the only thing that makes sense to me. I know many things are fortified, but I try to minimize processed foods.

@ashley_smashley, @Mama_Kat
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate, liquid vitamin B is a water soluble vitamin and very permeable, so I don't think there would an issue with absorption.

I'll do some research this weekend.
  • Any info Lady?
  • edited October 2012
    @ashley_smashley; I've done a little digging and have found a trend in that goats milk is known and shown to be deficient in vitamin D, vitamin B , iron and especially folate. This goes for unfortified goats milk, which most is. As far as macronutrients goats is really no different than cows milk, although I'm still researching. These deficiencies cause a number of ailments (i.e. anemia) and are mostly seen in infants that are solely fed goats milk. I want to read more into toddlers who are given goats milk and the prevalence of disease, if any.

Oh, and apparently most goats milk packaging will have a warning/recommendation for a vitamin supplementation, if it is not fortified. I've never paid attention. If this isn't an indication of caution, I don't know what is.
  • Does this also apply to raw goats milk? I have read that pasteurization can kill vital nutrients. Ollie eats a pretty balances diet, but I might consider supp with a multiple vitamin.
  • Just looked at my goat milk, and it does not have that lable..it's straight from the farm tho...
  • Yes, it especially applies to raw as it has not been fortified with the deficient nutrients. I know you don't go to the dr much, but if you do it would not hurt to ask his dr. :)

@ashley_smashley
  • Yeah we don't go to the dr at all unless it's an emergency. And most drs don't believe in anything other than mainstream..