can my kids get this from my dog?

edited October 2012 in Babies Health
My dog has this crazy rash/bumps on his belly and hind quarters. They kind of look like ring worm, but filled in all the way. We took him to the vet when we first noticed them and he said it wasn't ring worm, but he didn't know what they were without doing a skin scrap, which we couldn't afford at the time, so he said just watch them to see if they get worse. They have and now he has raised bumps on his back leg that look different. Idk what either of them are. He lays on the rugs where my daughter plays, and she plays on him ( he's a 110 lb American bull dog, so he's pretty much her jungle gym, Lol). She hasn't shown any signs of rash or irritation yet, and I'm trying to keep her off of him. Do y'all think she can get this from him? Sometimes she shares her binky with him too (obviously when I catch her I take that binky away, but idk how many times she's done it that I didn't see). Should I keep him locked in another room until we find out what it is or since she doesn't have any spots yet, don't worry about it? We're taking him for the akin scrape next week..

Comments

• Also, just this morning I caught him scratching his butt on the rug, like he has worms or something. I don't see works in his butte, but he hasn't been eating his food.. a lot of plants, tho. Can she get worms from him?
  • I dunno about if she can get them, but I'd try to keep them seperated. At least until you know what's up with poor puppy. The last thing you need is two babies sick. :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think if we can get ring worms from a cat we can get it for a dog but idk about rashes
  • Call a vet. Just to be safe.
  • Yes, very contagious.
  • Thanks ladies.. I'll put him away until we can get him looked at and maybe treat the rugs with something.
  • @ta2edblondie no, I don't go outside with him.. he drags his butt and eats plants all the time, its the not eating part that has me thinking it might be worms. I'll get my husband to check when he gets home.
  • If he's dragging his bottom he may just need his anal glands expressed. I work for a vet and we have a lot of patients with that problem. One thing may not have anything to do with the other.
  • @kimalee2288 do they not check that at regular check ups? How can I tell if its that? And do you have anything to add about the rash? We're taking him back to the vet as soon as we can, but if its something that we can treat otc, that would be awesome.

@ta2edblondie we'll do that, thanks! I think my husband knows what to look for, because o sure don't!
  • Unfortunately, the rash could be a lot of different things. I know its expensive but a skin scrape would be the best way to find out, without spending more money in trial and error trying to treat it. So there's really nothing OTC to recommend without knowing exactly what it is.
  • @kimalee thanks! We won't be able to take him in until next week, but we'll get it taken care of soon.