Where do you Mamas (and Dads too) live?

edited October 2012 in Just for Fun
I was just curious where you call home. Are you in your hometown, on or near a military base, or somewhere else (and why)?

Is the place where you currently call home where you always imagined raising your children? Do you plan to move somewhere else that's more ideal for your kids to grow up?

Just asking because I NEVER imagined raising kids in my hometown. There's nothing wrong with it. We live in a progressive, liberal (almost college-townish), suburb of Detroit w/ a low crime-rate, highly-accredited school district, and a multitude of grocery options for every budget (except a wal-mart...YAY!!!). However, before having children I was a global traveler...and, I just never expected to wind up here! My family and I have had a fortunate few years, and we have found ourselves with the option(s) to move somewhere else. I am a HUGE fan of the UK (and we have a few friends in Wales). But, I also like U.S. cities such as Denver and Portland (OR) and college-towns like Eugene, Burlington, and Ashville for raising my babies. So, I'm all over the place...literally!

We have only extended family here (and no immediate family anywhere else but Scottsdale...and we're NOT moving there!!!) who we only see at holidays...so they only kinda factor into our decision to move.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Im from Northern Cali... Live in Germany for 4 or so year... Moved to San Antonio (Love it, here currently for Military). We want to go to Colorado for a few years and then settle near Tyler, TX, maybe. We want land and near some family.
  • edited October 2012
    OOOHHH, where were you in Germany and how did you like it???

And where in No Cal? (I love everything from Marin Co. north!!!)
    @lilbit01_209
  • I'm in Alberta Canada. It's funny you posted this cause just last night my so and I were talking about moving and long term living plans. Were in a city twenty minutes from where I grew up and from where he mostly grew up (he's lived all over the world but his family settled when he was in grade 4)
    Neither of us want to move out of the country, but we don't like the idea of living here in Alberta forever. Wed love to move to pei or somewhere on the east coast, but the problem out there is work... Unless youre in tourism, fishing or farming (potatoes) there's nothing to do for work.
    So long story short, were happy where we are...for now.
  • We are in Oklahoma right now (I was born and raised in the state, my husband was born in Germany, grew up in Washington, lived all over, came to visit his dad here in OK from Phoenix and met me). We are actually moving to Phoenix in.two weeks and I'm nervous. Lol I'm a small town girl.
  • @mrsstanley_x2 where in phoenix? I'm in glendale grew up in pa followed a guy from highschool out here we broke up and i stayed never thought i would raise a child in a citie since i'm from a small town
    But it is working we'll see how i feel about it once he start school.
  • @natashalynn I frickin' LOVE Canada (although I know nothing of Alberta...I'm only familiar with B.C, Quebec, and obviously...being from metro-detroit...Ontario)

what's pei?
  • @math_mommy pei is prince Edward island, our smallest province. It's s little island on the east coast. My boyfriends family is mostly there, its so beautiful!
    I'm glad you love Canada! It's a beautiful country! Although big! Haha makes it hard to see everything. If you're ever looking for a new place to go in Canada out West, the Calgary stampede is pretty cool (Calgary Alberta in July) , and the rocky mountains are amazing, especially in the Banff area.
  • edited October 2012
    We live in Ohio and don't plan on ever moving out of state. All our family is here. I was born and raised here. Hubby was born in Kentucky, but raised here. We plan on moving closer to the state capital before she starts school and get out of our small town. All the schools here I am so not impressed with. I went to private school and I refuse to do that to my daughter and none of the public or county schools strike my fancy on how they educate the kids. So all in all we are staying put and don't plan on moving any where crazy.
  • edited October 2012
    Born and raised in Texas, boyfriend was born in raised in NYC. We met uniquely, he flew to Tx to meet me (stayed two weeks), moved to me two weeks after returning home. Neither of us had job luck in tx, so we moved to NYC. I never in my life thought I would ever be here. I would much rather raise Malia, and her attend school in Tx, but we have a few years. (Houston/Galveston suburbs)
  • @Stella literally 5miles from glendale right inside of Phoenix, but before Avondale. My on laws are actually in Glendale. Lol
  • We are in kansas city ks. I like it here but I wanna move too a different area. We've had a few drive bys here n I wouldnt want my son trying to be friend with these kids around here.
  • We just moved (a couple weeks ago) to Milwaukee, WI. Lived in Rochester, NY for the last 4 years. My husband and I both grew up in Central Minnesota. Before college, marriage and babies I traveled overseas too. Love love love traveling. I don't think u can ever really say u will stay in one spot forever. You just never know where life will lead you. For now we are planning on making Milwaukee area home. So far so good. It's a big AMAZING world. :)

• I think I live close to you! I'm in Berkley mi...close to royal oak....where about a in metro Detroit do you live?!?!
  • @mrsstanley_x2 once you get settled message me maybe we can get together.
  • Minneapolis, MN :-D
  • Jacksonville, NC. Hubby is a marine. Moving home to Durham in 2 yrs
  • edited October 2012
    I'm in Mobile, AL.. I was born here, and moved to Pensacola, FL (only about an hour away) when I was 10. That's where I call home. I hate hate hate Mobile. I NEVER wanted to raise my kids anywhere near here, and I WILL move before they start school. I can't wait to get back to Pensacola.
  • So many of y'all are from big cities!
  • I was born and raised in Lansing,MI but I moved when I was 18 and I now live in Milwaukee,WI. My husband was born and raised in Lahore,PK but moved here when he was 19 and we now live together with our 2 daughters.
  • Born and raised in mission Viejo, California but currently live in Anchorage, Alaska
  • Lincoln Nebraska
  • We are on So Cal both love it. All our family is here which is a plus. We soo don't want to move anywhere else but might have to because of work :(... But even if we do that it would only be for couple years then we can come back.
  • @smcox Yay Mission Viejo! My aunt lives there. Visited there about a dozen times or so.
  • From Yakima Washington state I absolutely hate it here, the gangs and the druggies r terrible, on Monday 2 boys 10 and 12 walking to school around the block were got by car and drugged for about 80 feet if I could afford to move away I would do it in an instance if it met better for my kids, wasborn here in Yakima but raised by my grandparents in Moses lake WA but even there has.gotten bad
  • Born and raised on Mesa/Gilbert area of Arizona and moved to cali in 2010 where my husband was stationed. We just moved back to Gilbert, az 2 weeks ago and will probably stay here forever. Is like to go somewhere New sometime bit my husband is set on staying here and raising our kiss.
  • i live in San Antonio Texas!!
    and i moved here 4 years ago with my boyfriend from a lil town called Cuero Texas and we just had our kid last year
    and we bought a house this year in january so we're pretty much settled down here
    not going anywhere atleast not for a while :)
  • @mommyof3girls I have a ton of friends in Rochester NY...its one of my favorite cities in NY!

@coltensmamma I was born and raised in royal oak, Birmingham, and troy, and I still own a condo (which I rent out) in ro. Bf, the kids and i live in the house he owns in clawson. Our son is in royal oak schools for preschool and speech therapy. I really like Berkeley school district and would happily buy our next home there. (I know most of the districts are open-enrollment here. But, its important to me that our kids go to the same school as other neighborhood kids...just for the sense of community.)

@everyone I moved around a lot as a kid. As a result, I got a lot of "fresh starts". I feel like I suffered socially for this, because I never had to confront the mistakes I made in my friendships...I just moved on to new places, schools and friends. So, I feel it's important for my kids to grow up in the same neighborhood (if not the same house). Plus, I like the idea of having roots in the community. This is why I feel such pressure to pick a place and stay with it.

Does anyone else feelits important for your kids to spend their entire childhool growing up in one place?
  • Born and raised in WV..that's where I call home. I now live in south florida. I don't want my kids going to school here with all the drugs and gangs here. Id love to have them go to school where I did, but at the same time I love PA, and would love to live there, and its only a 4hr drive home. We might just move...but id love it to be up north...I hate florida so much and I miss the snow!
  • We were in Wiesbaden/ Mainz.... I loved it but I was also a young single soldier with plenty of time on my hands... Now it would be nice but harder with a family.

I was raised in Tracy, CA.. near Modesto, Stockton area.
  • Born and raised right outside Nashville, Tenn. Moved 2 yrs ago to Jackson, Tn. I do NOT want my kids going to school in the area we live in now. No one knows proper grammar/English. Drives me nuts. We have our house for sale.. but we dobt know where we'll move.