Screaming

edited October 2012 in Ages & Stages
Does anyone else have this problem...my daughter is constantly screaming, not crying, but screaming with excitement! Its ear piercing and at first it was cute as she only did it so often but now its happening more and more and I do not know how to stop it. We went to a mommy and me class at the library this week and she got a ball to play with and lifted it above her head and screamed so loud everyone even the other babies stopped what they were doing and starred at her! Im just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what can be done to teach her not to scream to show her excitement. She is 11 months old and Im hoping this is just a stage but its been going on for a while and just getting worse!

Comments

• Yes I have that problem when my daughter was born it was so cute she was so tiny (4lbs 11oz) had a big scream. She is now 4yrs and she still has it. Sorry I'm no help. I think my daughter is just gunna be one of those loud girls. lol
  • My daughter started that at about 11 months too. She grew out of it pretty quickly. whenever she'd do it, I'd sit her down and say shhhhh.
  • My daughter is screaming randomly.. not just when she is excited. It was cute at first, but now its not. I'm gonna try what 1stwoodsbaby said.
  • @adding1more I think Lily is just going to be loud too but Im hoping the screaming will stop or not happen as often soon!
    @amab13 Lily has been doing this for months and its just getting worse! She will see something she wants across the room like the cat and start crawling at full speed screaming! haha it makes me laugh sometimes but it really does need to stop in public at least.
    @1stwoodsbaby thats what I do now I just sit her down and say shhhh we dont scream and she laughs....I think Im in trouble! haha
  • @lucyloo288 exactly it WAS cute but its getting old now...I go out to eat sometimes and she will point at people as they walk by and scream and then laugh its getting a little out of control
  • My son does it too! All the time. Happy or mad it don't matter he screams lol. He turned 1 on 10/2. And he's been doing it for about a month!
  • Oh goodness, Lol. At least she laughs afterwards so the people know she's just playing! But yeah, no, that would make me upset, too.
  • @bigbelly that's mine and my mom's birthday, too! Happy late birthday, little man!
  • MY 15 month old does it..I can say shhhh and he starts screaming even louder lol. I hope he stops it soon..its getting out of hand!
  • Yes! My daughter is 11 months now but has been screaming since like 3 months just randomly from excitement or attention or whatever lol! And very loud too! Lol!!
  • @erikak22 @jnlelrod its good to know I'm not alone but this phase needs to end soon its getting old! Haha this is one reason why her nick name is Lily Monster!
  • awww so cute. My baby boy does this whenhe is excited so I'm ok with it. I like coming home from work and getting a big ol scream. its a phase though. you probably wont even notice when she stops
  • Cool!! Happy late birthday to you and your momma too! @lucyloo288
  • My girlfriend is experiencing this exact problem. Her 19 month old daughter screams at the top of her lungs throughout the whole day. I've experienced it and let me tell you it's a very high pitched scream. Out of concern she took her to her doctor and was told since she doesn't speak, it is her way of expressing frustration. Although, my friend says she does it even when she's happy or excited, so I don't know.

I wish I had a clear cut answer for you, but just know you are not alone. Hopefully it's just a phase that will soon pass.
  • She's just expressing herself. I wouldn't try to stifle her, because she's not doing anything wrong. My daughter does it too and to me it just means that she's alive with emotion :)
  • Yepp trixie does it too! She just likes to be louder than everyone else. She will be quiet and then one of us starts trying to talk to the other and she starts yelling and screaming like hey look at me. I hope this ends soon for all of us...luckily out in public she is kind of shy.
  • When Mari was a newborn, a lady in the waiting room at the drs office said, "you can always tell if a baby girl is happy... if she's screaming". Boys tend to scream from anger, frustration or boredom(when they want a reaction from mom or dad). Girls scream when their happy or excited. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to do (since its not for a reaction, ignoring it won't work as fast as it does when kids are trying to make you react). Mari is 18 months, and she still does it. Her language comprehension is finally to the point where she understands "indoor-voice". So, when she shrieks, I can quiet her down quickly.
  • Mari also used to scream at strangers in restaurants and stores. Just recently, she's started growling at them instead. At the cider mill the other day, there were two guys from a local radio station booth. When they walked by my kids, Mari let out a huge growl at them. the one guy jumped 2 feet in the air, the other just laughed and growled back. It was super funny!
  • @Mijita @starrxoxo9 @trixiesmom8 its good to know I'm not alone and I'm happy its only when she excited it could be worse and just crying! I still think its cute most of the time but in public its sometimes too much!
    @Math_Mommy lol at the growling!