Chocolate milk?

edited October 2012 in Babies
whens it okay to give them some?
my lil guys 13 months old and my husband was going to give him some
but i wasnt sure if he can?
Never thought about it lol

Comments

• Well...it's full of sugar...I would say no..just bc I don't allow Ollie to have that much sugar. Occasionally I will add an ounce of chocolate almond milk to like 6 oz of coconut milk..
  • I have gave my son chocolate milk he is 13 months, but just one cup of it then regular milk :)
  • @Proudmother1009 yeah I asked my mother in law and she said that it was fine aslong as he gets milk but not to much cause yeah it does have sugar.
    but atleast its not those unhealthy juices right?
  • That's right ;) he will be fine
  • Sometimes you can find it with lower sugar. I've seen it at wal mart
  • I gave my lil one strawberry milk at his 1 year bday party. He loved it but... it didn't settle well. He ended up with diarrhea and a diaper rash. It was premade so im sure it was the chemicals and dyes that did that.
  • I think as long as he's not chugging glass after glass of it it's ok in moderation. I give Tessa bits of cookies or sweets when we have them. I don't see anything wrong with it. Having treats is one of the joys of being a kid :)
  • If you are a parent that likes to give your child a treat, then let it be that, a treat. Sugary drinks like flavored milk have excess calories that can fill your child and interfere with proper nutrition. They can cause your child to request more that can potentially cause anemia. The sugar can cause acute GI distress and increase the chances of cavities.
  • I didn't do chocolate till my son was 2.5-3
  • I personally wouldn't do it..they don't need it so what's the point of putting something unhealthy on their little body of they don't need it. Plus the way my dad always put it is where adults we know what we should or shouldn't have. But our kids so not and I see it as my job to give them healthy things until they can make their own choices. Not saying they can't have sweets ever as kids.especially on special days. But just something to keep in mind especially since they are still little :)
  • I guess people parent different ways, my boys are completely healthy so if I want to give them a glass of chocolate milk every once in a while, no one should judge anyone..
  • Thanks for all the opinions everyone! I'm not planning on giving him chocolate Milken everyday and we never have chocolate milk in the house my husband just happen to buy some today and wanted our son to try it. :D
    @Proudmother1009
    @jules
    @ripKaydence
    @Mijita
    @starrxoxo9
    @doddles
    @sands3
    @ashley_smashley
  • I would give my daughter it, maybe two "treat" bottles a week. Starxoxo9 is right, it is one of the many joys of being a kid.
  • My husband loves chocolate milk and when he has it he gives our daughter some, usually just a sip or two. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them try a little.
  • I give my son a couple squirts of chocolate syrup in his milk to give the chocolate effect maybe try that instead of the premade chocolate milk
  • Now I gotta go get me a glass of my chocolate almond milk!!
  • @Wilsomom lol i know right
  • I give my 4 year old a small cup of warm milk after his bath at night, sometimes I put a scoop of hot choc powder in it. He has maybe had it since around 2 years. My other one is 11 months and I wouldn't give it him yet but as the other ladies said, a treat is a treat and I think as long as their diet is already good it won't hurt. It teaches them a bit of moderation too x
  • I give my son chocolate milk bc that'sthe only way he will drink it but I use breakfast essentials by carnation. It has protein and vitamins in it. I've even had a glass myself when in a hurry and it tastes great:) my son is also underweight so the days he doesn't eat much I will give him two cups thru out the day. As far as chocolate syrup I have given him some and that's how I found out he likes milk that way...but I didn't want him drinking it everyday. But if its only for a treat I'd say go ahead:) there is also tru moo...I'm not sure how.much sugar it is but I do know I bought some once bc my daughter wanted some...she is eight and it was her treat.