Christmas tree?

edited October 2012 in Babies
How in the world are you going to put one up without lo getting in it? Madison will be 14 months, will she learn not to touch it if I tell her no enough? Or will we not get to put up a tree or my grandma suggested putting it in a playpen :/ i love christmas and my tree but i know how tempting it would be for her

Comments

• Don't put special/breakable ornaments where she can reach them. She'll learn to leave it alone.
  • Ha ha, this makes me laugh because I've had years where only the top half of the tree was decorated and I've had trees knocked over dozens of times. I just consider it part of the holidays! :D
  • Lol, I was thinking about the same thing last night.. I know my LO (12 mos)will make several attempts to knock it down, but I am still putting one up.. He knows no , but I will make sure I do not leave him around the tree by himself.. Bc while he knows no, he will sometimes still do it.. (when it comes to me telling him no)Otherwise it is sure to be knocked over.. I say still put it up and just tell her no. I couldn't imagine Christmas without putting up a Christmas tree! :-) do you use an artificial one or real? @Kimberly4411
  • Keegan will be 14 months. She knows no, but is too curious to care about no. It took a full month to leave the fireplace alone (thats with getting her hand spanked 4-5 a day, everyday). I'm not looking forward to the tree and how she'll do.
  • Fake one for sure! I'm a moron lol i didnt think of not decorating the bottom, that could work :) its taking me everything I have not to put it up
  • When my daughter was 12 months we Put our tree caddy cornered and my fiancé got some thing wired and braced the tree to the wall so she couldn't knock it over on herself and we only put plastic ornaments on. She did really well with it
  • Thin wire not thing wire lol
  • ^^ That reminds me...one year we had the tree next to the stairway and tied it to the railing..it worked pretty good.
  • When my oldest was little, he was 15 months for his first Christmas, well I guess his first mobile Christmas, I was terrified of putting up the tree. We got a real one, a big one, and decorated it all but did not put breakable/special ornaments that he could reach and suprisingly he did not bother the tree, and my other son has not ever either. He helped decorate and set it up and new to be very careful with it to not break it. I think if you include her in it and tell her to ask you to show her ornaments then she will be fine. I dont yell at them to always stay away from it though because it will make the tree less special and will make them want to get into it.
  • We will put ours up, just bot put important/breakable ones at the bottom where she can reach them.
  • edited October 2012
    Can't wait.. i feel like I'm going to be picking up the tree 5-6 times a day everyday. Lol .When i tell her no or yell at her she starts smiling and laughing like she knows she's being bad. Lol its funny though
  • @mommylovessparkle Haha that's exactly what my daughter does when I say no too! I think I'm gonna tie string or something around the tree and attach it to the wall. I usually have to do this for the cat so I'm used to it!
  • @lilliansmom that's a great idea! How do you attach it?
  • I dont know what they are called but those screws that have the loop on the end I put that in the wall and tie the string to it @mommylovessparkle
  • We put all the glass orniments at the top.. The bottom will be naked lol
  • Oh okay i know what you mean thanks! You just saved my Christmas tree! Lol
  • Lol last year was the first year I was able to decorate the whole tree since my now 4 yr old has been born. I have pis of the kids with our tree and only the top half with orniments. Cracks me up
  • I LOVE christmas, looks like i'll have to buy new ornaments that are plastic :) thats too bad