storm

edited October 2012 in Current Events
Anyone in pa? We are getting ready for this supposed storm...Frankenstorm its called. It's supposed to be really bad for us. I'm hoping it totally misses us bc last yr at this time www had a huge snow storm and so many people were without power for a week or so. Luckily we are right down the st from the power co so we usually stay on. Just praying it misses us. People are going nuts...the stores are packed. They cancelled our Halloween parade already which was Sun.

Comments

• I pray things go GD for u guys ill b scared on scared of lighting
  • We're from southern pa. Where are you from? We live right next to a creek and it floods even with the slightest amount of rain so we're packing up and hopefully staying with my mom. Last year's storm flooded our entire town and we were stuck.
  • Yeaaaaa I'm nervous about it. I work at a personal care home for the elderly and we were running thru our emergency disaster plan. I need to get to the store!
  • @Roxy thx:) Me too...I'm hoping it turns and goes by us.
    @kimalee2288 we are northeast pa...kinda in between Philly and the Poconos...we are about 90 min from ny border...wow I hope you are ok...being next to a creek would freak me out...I'll pray for your safety. I'm afraid to go shopping...it looked crazy they had the local news at a Walmart and it was crazy! So did you get hit last yr with that snow too? The Oct snow?
    @alilboulding where are you? Pa also? I know someone who works for FEMA and they were pretty much saying the same thing they are getting ready for the worst:(
  • I'm in Maryland and people here are freaking out!
  • I'm in western Pa. Im really hoping we don't get it. There's people going around saying we're goin to get 48 inches of snow! lol. Im just worried about the wind blowing things down and knock power out. I swear on the news this morning they said it was still at sea or heading toward sea? So hopefully it wont be too bad!
  • @sehra1477 yes, we got hit by the snow and didn't have power. We had to stay with family since I had just had our daughter and I was using an electric pump. I think we were out of power for about 24 hours but some places lost power for a week.

I need to go to the store but I know it's going to be insane. I'm trying to hold off until the last minutes, even though I know that's not a good idea. I'll get there eventually lol.
  • @kimalee2288 Yeh in our area people were out for a week and a half...my sis was pregnant and was out a week and a half. People at work were out about a week it was ridiculous. I'm trying to hold off too Im wondering if people are just panicking bc of last yr??
    @tinksmommy really? That much snow?. I think we are supposed to get some snow but mostly rain about 4to 8 inches. I heard it was downgraded but then another station said it was upgraded...I'm just confused about how powerful it is...my friend in south Carolina said its pouring there...
    @BigBelly is it supposed to be bad there too?
  • @sehra4177 yeah I'm tired of listening to the news. I mean whatever is going to happen, will. No one's going to stop it and you can only prepare so much. I think sometimes the news is just trying to scare us lol
  • Yes they say it is but who knows lol
  • @bigbelly I'm in Maryland to and I wasn't worried until I heard how bad It's supposed to be
  • I'm in VA and it is supposed to "hit" here on Mon. However, I'm not worried. They do this every single year and every year we have some thunder, lightning and wind. MAYBE power outages. ::shrugs::

I'll fill up my bathtubs JIC. ;)
  • I'm just outside of Philly and I'm not TOO concerned. We're prepared, but we're not freaking out about it.
  • I'm just north of Pittsburgh
  • @kimalee2288 I hear ya, and it keeps changing so phooey on them lol.
    @captivated oh its starts Mon there too? Yeh Im not going crazy I just got water and milk...we went shopping (normal Sat shopping) and it was a mad house.
  • We live in a valley so we don't usually get anything too bad
  • I'm in NH and not excited. We always lose power because of trees around us. Last year during snowtober I was 41 weeks pregnant. This year I'm 25 weeks pregnant with a one year old and still not enough money to get a generator! :-(
  • Im in NY and everyone around here is freaking out and buying all the generators and water all up and filling there bathtubs cleaning gutters and doing all their laundry! Im just catching up on all my shows on the dvr! haha Im not worried at all, I moved during the hurricane that happened last year...there was flooding some power outages but nothing major and I dont think anything crazy is going to happen around here this time either. Oh and the crazy october snow storm last year I went to work 40 weeks pregnant! haha Im just very laid back when it comes to snow and storms I guess.
  • @sehra4177 it just started raining here and its really light. How's it your way?
  • @kimalee2288 it rained all day here and they just cancelled school for tomorrow. All of our colleges are closed. It's been windy too all day...crossing my fingers it skips us
  • It just left here. (NC coast) nothing but heavy rain at times and it's been kinda windy.
  • Up here its supposed to morph with another storm and its supposed to be worse @sands3 , so they say...u know how the media hypes it up
  • I'm in central Pa. I grew up in a really rural area that would always lose power and flood out/snow in, so I'm constantly worried about power going out and everything so we are always decently stocked for minor emergencies. Oil lamps, flash lights, batteries, candles, matches, camping stove, water, non perisable food stocks, dog foods, first aid crap, board games, cards, metric ton of blankets... Ect.

Last year our power was out for a few days and our area was hit fairly hard. But we lucked out , our basement only flooded less than an inch, a few branches down, and our beat to crap car got a five inch scratch. A lot of people in our area lost everything. So I am increadably greatfull!

My son was a bit freaked out from the news (people were talking about evacuation in other areas, and just a general freak out) and he remembers being stuck at school for a few hours last year and seeing all the destruction so I made sure he has an "emergency kit" packed with some snacks (crackers, peanuts, fruit gummies, applesause, packet of oatmeal, packet of hot chocolate; kid friendly stuff) his flashlight, spare batteries, small toy, tissues, bottle of Orange juice, crayons, phone numbers of close family and neighbors, band aids (cartoon ones - "because they make cuts feel better" - his words not mine lol), his favorite stuffed animal and a special blanket that we only use for trips.

His school is closed tomorrow so he is going to help me make emergency kits for everyone in the family including our dog. He also asked if we could pack some clothes just in case... Might do that just for something to do - better than watching tv or being bored. Lol, maybe I can convince him he needs to put his laundry away first so "I can see exactly what he has!" ;)

Do I personally think all of this is necessary, not at all. But if it helps him feel better then it can't hurt to be prepared. Honestly if things do turn out the worst and we have to leave in a hurry I'll be happy to be prepared, if not he'll have a small/simple kit and I'll have to unpack some things.

Sorry about the novel!