My one year old can't drink cow's milk or soy milk

edited October 2012 in Babies
My son had to be on soy formula after I stopped breast feeding. We started trying whole milk shortly before his first birthday and that caused him to have the worst diapers! His pediatrician recommended soy milk and that is doing the same thing to him! Should I try goats milk, almond, or rice milk? Lactaid?
Planning to call the ped Monday but just wanted to know what you guys have tried for your babies that were sensitive to milk.

Comments

• Goat and almond is what we drink here. Cows milk can be to harsh on tummies, and soy is to full of hormones.
  • U can start him with just a little milk at a time to help him get used to it... jax had bad constipation with milk for awhile so we did 2oz of reg milk and slowly weened him off the fornula
  • I'd switch him to lactaid
  • We use unsweet coconut milk. Rice milk is mostly fillers.
  • edited October 2012
    Why can't you just use 1% or 2% milk it's more healthy anyway..well compared to whole milk
  • I'd try goat milk or almond milk
  • @MyLove2; 1% or 2% lack fat that is essential for brain development until age 2. It is recommended to wait until that age to lower the fat content from milk.
  • We do hemp milk here. My soon is allergic to cows milk and wouldn't drink goats milk. Almond milk has nothing in it calorie wise. Rice milk has little nutritional value. He was on oat milk with flax oil added for a while until I could find hemp milk. Is awesome. Low on sugar. High in vitamins and roughly the same amount of fat for his brain development as cows milk! I think it tastes good too!
  • @mylove2 lowering the fat (i.e. Going to 1% or 2% milk) won't change the issue for her child. The issue is with the protein in milk or possibly the sugar in the milk, that % refers to the fat content.

@loveourlittleone lactaid milk will only help if your child is lactose intolerant (sensitive to the sugar, lactose, found in cows milk). If it's the protein, lactaid will still cause an issue.

Hope I helped a little! I'm no professional but my son was diagnosed with cows milk protein allergy at 7 weeks old. He is 14 months tomorrow. I've done a lot of research and have worked very closely with our Pediatrician and allergist.