cyst while pregnant

edited October 2012 in Pregnant
So i have a cyst on my left overy and im 6w3d pregnant and it hurts. Idk what to do. Ive never had one before and dont know what to do. Any advice??

Comments

• I had one on each ovary, it hurt but they went away by about 16 weeks. Sorry im no help
  • @doodles did it hurt constantly was there anything you did to.loosen.the pain? Ive never had one they saw it on u/s when i went in for abdominal pain on my left side
  • Not really. Taking a bath and regular tylenol helped a lot but nothing took it all away.
  • No prob. Hang in there
  • Nothing helped for me, but you could try tylenol. I had it for awhile but it eventually went away on it's own.
  • I also had one but luckily I didn't have any pain really with it. It went away by itself. @ripkaydence
  • It's pretty normal. Depends on the size of the cyst. Every pregnancy will have a cyst called the corpus luteum in which the pregnancy develops from until the placenta takes over. Sometimes this can be painful. In rare cases it can rupture and cause miscarriage as the pregnancy cannot grow without it supposedly, but thats rare. I wouldn't worry unless it is extremely large. even then it won't affect the pregnancy if it is a normal cyst and ruptures :)
  • Found this for you

"During the second half of your menstrual cycle you may have a small fluid filled sac known as a corpus luteal cyst. A corpus luteal cyst is known as a functional cyst. This arises as a cyst of the corpus luteum, the empty follicle after ovulation. The corpus luteum releases progesterone until the placenta takes over this function around 12 weeks gestation. It is diagnosed via ultrasound.
    A corpus luteal cysts is usually not a cause for concern nor does it usually adversely effect the pregnancy or cause miscarriage. Sometimes you may experience a bit of pain or tenderness. Your doctor or midwife may prescribe pelvic rest or pain medications. The most frequent scenario is that the cyst will resolve on its own. Occasionally the cyst will rupture causing pain and even less likely, the cyst could cause the ovary to twist and potentially require surgery."
  • Well said @captivated =D> ! I was just gonna say something similar, but probably not as well worded lol. My doctor told me not only is it perfectly normal, but it can help support the pregnancy in the early stages. Basically everything you said. @ripkaydence, I'd try the tylenol like @Ezrasmommy suggested, that's what I did. Good luck hun!!!
  • edited October 2012
    It's possible she could have a regular cyst that's not a corpus luteum as well @tishj330. I just think it's more probable to be the corpus luteum! :)

I wasn't aware that it was what released the progesterone. Interesting!
  • Thanks guys!! @captivated i don't have my next appt till nov 19 and they said theyd check again then they didn't: seem tooooo concerned! Thanks tho
  • I had one as well on my left ovary with my last pregnancy. They told me it was the size of an orange (10 cm) and filled with blood. That had me freaked out. But it went down throughout my pregnancy and was gone by the time he was born.
    It was painful at times but tylenol was pretty much it in that department.
    Hopefully it'll ease up on ya! Good luck!
  • Oh geez! @musicmomma. They usually remove anything over 7cm. The risk for a tortion is so great! I had a cyst removed in august. Size of a softball. Eek. Glad it went down! You're lucky :)
  • I would say to keep track of how many times a day you experience pain and also keep track of how painful it is every time on a scale from 1 to 10. I had a cyst that grew during my first pregnancy and i had to have it removed because it was so painful and big that i couldn't eat without having pain. As a result of the surgery, i lost the pregnancy at 17 weeks.
    I think its better to be safe than sorry. Im pregnant again now, and i have ultrasounds done almost every 2 weeks.