Baby diarrhea?

edited November 2012 in Babies Health
Ollie had had diarrhea since Halloween..every time he poos...at least 4 times a day....he doesn't have a fever, or seem to feel bad. I am making sure he stays hydrated...but how long is to long to have diarrhea? I tried to get him to eat the normal foods to harden his poo...like bananas and rice, but he isn't to find of either.

Comments

• Aim for soluble fiber that well help absorb some excess water in the gut. Most physicians will begin to worry after 7 days.
  • What are some food suggestions @mijita ? I know this is gross but....his poo is pretty much just water and mucus...
  • edited November 2012
    Plain oatmeal, white rice, ripe bananas, applesauce, white toast, white plain pasta, canned peaches or pears (no skin or fresh, it aggravates diarrhea), cream of rice cereal, plain/unsweetened graham crackers. Too much sugar can aggravate too, so lay off the juice if you give him juice. Since it's been a couple days I'd give him some infant/toddler pedialyte, as continual diarrhea risks dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Also, the foods that are listed here, like crackers and pasta are usually fortified and will provide some mineral replacement as well.

Sounds like he contacted something viral, if so you'll see a change by day 5.
  • Well he doesn't drink any juice...so that's not a problem. I have been feeding him a lot of bananas since it started, so he is kind of worn out on those. I will try the apple sauce, and rice and pasta. And pick up some pedialyte when we go out today. Thanks @mijita
  • I hope he feels better soon!
  • Be careful with applesauce though it usually makes some baby poop more :(