What to do with 15 month old while giving birth?

I am really concerned about what to do with my daughter while I am in the hospital. I still have a few weeks left until my due date, but have been panicking so much because I do not want to leave her. My mother-in-law is planning on watching her while I am at the hospital. She is very attached though and I am worried about her not sleeping or eating well while I am gone. I was debating about whether or not I should have my mother-in-law bring her to the hospital after delivery or not. I am worried if she sees me and has to leave to return home that she will be very upset. I also thought about just sending my Husband home to spend some time with her for a bit. What do you think? (particularly those of you who have been in a similar situation) I know I am worrying to much over this, but I cannot help it. I am not used to being away from her for very long. She has gone to a babysitter before, but not for a long period of time, usually just a few hours. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• I been n that situation twice lol I just had hubby to go pick them up an take them to do somthn or go home an watch them for awhile both days i was at the hospital they also went an got presents for the baby an brought them to the hospital they were fine leaving becuz the hospital was so boring my son was 3 an my daughter was 16 months wen I had my baby
  • @mrz_jackson That sounds perfect. I think I will have him do that. He ended up going home the first time to check on our dogs and to shower and what not, so I think he can do that again this time and spend some time with her.
  • edited November 2012
    Yep ! My hubby left for about 3-4 hours then brought them to the hospital for a few hours so they was wit at least one of us most of the day they did fine an it was a much needed break for me cuz I've never ever had a babysitter lol
  • I had the same worry so I set up a pack and play and he stayed at the hospital with us. I had a scheduled c section though. It's allowed at my hospital but a lot of the nurses were rude about it and tried to wake him up at night during rounds cuz they had an attitude about him staying. This time the kids will be with my husband at home and come visit during the days.
  • I was wondering the same exact thing. I am only 6wks pregnant but my son will be about 21 mo when I give birth.
  • Ok my mother in law took my 14 month old & even though she has babysat her before she didn't do well. I think because she was constipated & her schedule got screwed up through all the commotion.
  • im due in 15 days and have a 16month old! my mums going to have him when im in hospital but im going to make her bring him in loads as i dont want him to think i have gone away and then i return with a new baby! i know hes only young and wont remember but its my worst fear him thinkin a new baby has replaced him!
  • @mrz_jackson I bet. I understand completely. We have had a babysitter a couple of times, but I still have moments where I am desperate for a break.
    @michellebelle I think it would be so hard to have her at the hospital with me. I would love her being there, but with all the noise and distractions I think that would be trouble. I definitely would like to have her come up and visit for a bit. Not sure what to do. I really want my Husband to be there too.
    @excitedforoctober I am glad I am not alone. I have been worrying about this nonstop for the past few weeks.
    @2600wifey I am afraid that will happen with my daughter. I do not want her schedule to get messed up to much. My mother-in-law has babysat her a few times and it always seems that she doesn't do everything the way we would like, but I guess it is better than having no one at all.
    @denois That is how I feel, sort of. I don't think she will feel replaced, but I do not want her to think I abandoned her or something. I feel so guilty just having to go to the hospital and leaving her. I am dreading it. I hope she doesn't remember it at all. I am so scared she is going to be traumatized.
  • @denois that's my worst fear too :( I can't stand the thought of him thinking he has been replaced. I am happy for this pregnancy but sad to think that he will not be my only baby anymore.
  • It's just nothing went as planned. I went into labor & my baby was sleeping so my father in law came over & spent the night but he is an early riser so he got her up early & they came to see us in the hospital then from there my mil took her & spent the night but I guess it was rough & the next day she couldn't keep her happy so my husband went and got her took her to the park then she hung out at the hospital that day with us we were discharged that evening but she did very well in the room but man that did not go as planned!
  • Oh & my daughter who is 15 months seems in no way affected by her new sister. She loves kissing her & petting her hair lol
  • I wonder the samething my daughter had never stayed away from me. Not once she will be 20 months when I give birth to our son I'm more scared though cuz I can't be away from her I was in the hospital for 4 days with her and am.nervous my dad said he would watch her cuz she loves her papa but no one has ever had her at night
  • i havent got excited through this whole pregnancy and i just keep thinking what if i dont like the new baby and i get ppd or what if he is born and i loose my bond with my son as well! its a horrible feeling but i hope everything works out ok @excitedforoctober
  • I'm due pretty much anytime an I've been worrying about this my whole pregnancy. I don't wanna be away from my little guy (14months) very long. Last night I went in to LD an I took him to my dads cuz he loves his papa an he did great but I couldn't stop thinking about him the whole time. He seemed to do very well but I was released after 7 hours so I gotta go get him. An he was very excited to see us.
  • @denois don't worry, I have the same worries. There is nothing like being pregnant with your first. :(
  • @2600wifey I understand. It seems like nothing ever really goes as planned. I will just have to make the best of things. That is great that your 15 month old loves her little sister. I am hoping she will love her little brother. I think she may be a little jealous at first, but will enjoy having him around.
    @lilloulou I am in the same boat about night time. She stayed over night one time when she was around 3 months old. She does great at night, but sometimes wakes up once to be comforted and than falls back asleep. I am worried that whoever watches her will not know what to do.
    @mrswright08 That sounds like me. I am sure she will be okay for a little while, but I definitely don't feel ready to leave her for a long period of time.
  • I was scheduled c section so it was a bit easier to plan. A day before I went in my in laws came to pick the baby up. She does pretty well with them so it went smoothly with that. The day after I had the baby they brought everyone by but they wouldn't let anyone under 12 in during that time and refused to let my daughter in to see her new brother. My husband went out to the waiting room and played with her until everyone left. He said only then did she start to get upset about things. Unfortunately we had to stay extra in the hospital because the baby needed to stay in the nursery because of some health scares. Then the day after we got discharged my in laws brought my daughter home. She was away for almost a week and she did great so we were lucky