My sons not gaining weight!!

edited November 2012 in Babies Health
So we had my sons 1 year well-baby today (at 13m old) and he has only gained 4oz in 2 months. He is only 17lb 14oz. He shot up by 2 inches though. She told us to keep giving him food at each meal till he shows he doesn't want anymore (He already gets 'full-course' healthy meals) and to feed him meals and snacks 6x a day. (Which he already does- He eats everything in sight!!) We have to add in pediasure for weight gain and nutrition. So weight checks monthly from now on... yeah...

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Start adding calorie dense foods that contain healthy fats then offer the Pediasure. Many make the mistake of offering it first and their kiddos fill up and fail to eat food, thus fail to see desired weight gain.
  • edited November 2012
    @mijita Yeah that what she said. She said to spread the pediasure out thoughout the day b/c it can give little ones the runs if they have it all at once. I am going to give 1/2 pediasure and 1/2 milk in each of his 3-4 bottles. She said I can use it in 'milk' recipes like pudding and such for an added boost. She is also sending us to a nutritionist to help me find more kiddo approved balanced foods with higher cals...
  • Wonderful! I'm glad she's being proactive. She sounds like a good doctor. :)
  • @Mijita She concerned me at first because she was getting on us. He was born big (almost 8lbs) but once she saw our daughter (3'6" and about 35lb soaking wet @ 6yoa) she changed completely. I was put off by her for suggesting supplimenting but once we had an established weight gain (1/2 lb a month consistant till now) she said that he was on a steady growth pattern. In the last 2months we have left daycare and he started walking so that could be a reason of slowed weight gain...