what would you have done?

Our lo is sick, just plain out doesn't feel well. Took her temp its 99.9(under the arm) anyways, I had come home to pump and hubby said she hadn't ate yet, she usually takes it in a bottle. He tried everything, in a sippy cup, in a regular cup, she would take a few drinks and then not want any more. So I put her on the boob and she starts falling asleep.

So here is where my question comes in..I called into work and told them I wasn't coming back in..my manager was mad, but I don't care. Hubby can't take off and my step mom who watches her for us, had errands to run all day. I just couldn't bring myself to letting her go, knowing how she felt. So would you ladies have called work and taken the rest of the day off? I only had like 3 more hours left.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Depends on your status at work. I personally would have gauged the severity of my childs illness. If she didn't have a fever, I would have finished my 3 hours. I hope your LO feels better soon.
  • @mijita she does have a fever..not a high one, but its still there. Also her not taking a bottle is an issue. She has a runny nose and won't even play with her toys, all she wants to do is cuddle and be held.
  • If she refused to eat any other food besides breast then I would have stayed home as well.
  • @luvmy5 yes she was, its not like her to do that, normally she loves food lol.
  • edited November 2012
    Don't feel guilty with your decision, as only you know your child. Mothers instinct is always best. :)
  • Your daughter is way more important then work!
  • @mijita oh I know!! It just irritates me that my boss got mad, yes I left them stranded but its not like I had planned it.
    @maymommy2011 I think so too:-)
  • I say your child comes first. You can replace a job. This is your baby.
  • Depends on the job too... When I was a teacher I couldnt just not come back. Mainly because we would not have enough teachers/students... BUT my job was good at finding a substitute to replace me during the day when my son was sick. (He was there too so they did know) but I had to stay in my class till they could move kids or the replacement made it in...
  • I think u did the right thing.
  • @luvmy5 I was thinking the same thing.
    @lilbit01_209 I'm a cashier, there were two other people at the store when I left..the manager and asst manager. Hubby was late to work and I only had 3hrs left so I knew they weren't going to call anyone in to cover me.
    @jules thanks!
  • In my opinion, your baby comes first. So it can be 15 min or 3 hours, if your baby is sick you have to go. I know i would do the same thing. Don't feel bad, a mommy should always be there to comfort her baby.
  • Btw, Im 20 years old and if Im real sick my mom takes off of work to take care of me lol. So you did the right thing :)
  • @perly that's exactly how I feel. My boss' step daughter had a doctors apt last week and she left early for that. I mean I understand because of the short notice, but I'm nor going to let her go to someone else's house feeling like that. I would feel awful! Lol yea, my dad calls/txts me 20x just to make sure I'm ok or if I need anything when I am sick. It's a parental instinct to take care of your sick child.
  • @trixiesmom8 some people are very selfish.
  • As a mother I feel you did the right thing and I would of done the same! But as a manager myself I would have been upset too but wouldn't never of made you know I was upset or angry because you have the right to call out even if it leaves me doing more work myself.
  • @trixiesmom8 i am also a cashier, but at walmart so its not like im the only one lol. But i would have done the same thing. I hope she feels better soon. All 3 of mine have coughs. My youngest 2 cough so much at night they wake up sometimes. It hard knowing theres not much you can do except hold them and try to comfort them. Just hold her close and give her extra kisses and dont worry to much.
  • @perly yes they are.
    @lilliansmom oh yes, I totally understand, it just bothered me since I've been there for almost 3 years and have called off twice before this, one due to my miscarriage. So it bothered me she was upset and mad about it, when I'm one of the recent people we've got.
    @angel26 yea, I'll have to call her doctor tomorrow, because she doesn't want much to eat, she only wants to nurse and me working isn't making that possible:-( but she is all plugged up, I know she can take anything, but I didn't know if they'll be able to give me advice on what to do.