medicine chart

edited November 2012 in Babies Health
I have looked all over the internet for a decent tylenol chart. It took me like 20 minutes to find a good one. It was off of the children's hospital of Wisconsin. My lo is 12 months old and weighs 20lbs..it said to give her 3.75ml that seems like a lot to me..so I will be keeping an eye on her while she is sleeping. She so sick and feels horrible!!

Comments

• I have pedia care and it says if the baby is under 24 lbs then give it 2.4 - 3.5 ml
  • That's what I thought too, that's what we have been giving her, but wanted to make sure I was giving her the right amount since she just had a weight check. I didn't give her 3.75ml I didn't like giving her that much so I only gave her the 2.5. @luvmy5 @carsons_mommy
  • 3.75 is right. Ask your ped for a chart. I got one with Motrin, Tylenol, and Benadryl on it..life saver
  • 3.75 is, I believe the dosage for the pedia care. For Tylenol is 2.5, I am looking at the dosage on my bottle right now.
  • My son gets the full 5ml because of his weight. 3.75 sounds right for 20 pounds my son is 26.
  • It's an antiphisamin(sp) which is what I looked up. @luvmy5 @lilpeapod913 so I guess what I saw is right.
  • @char ok thanks good to know.
  • You need to make sure you have the right concentration though with acetameniphen (tylonol) 3.75ml is ok for the new concentration but way to high for the old.. What our doc said to do if your in a jam like that is: say the bottle say (24-30lbs is 5mL) you use 24-30lbs and take the middle of that (27lb) and the divide the 5ml by 27lbs... (gets the mL to lb ratio) and multiply by your childs weight... that gives you a closer amount...
  • Acetaminophen? Or antihistamine?
  • @lilbit01_209 we use the "new" way with the syringe. So what it said was correct.
    @luvmy5 acetaminophen..sorry I had that wrong on my other post.
  • My bottle of Tylenol (acetaminophin) says 5mL for 24-35 pounds. 2.5mL for 23 and under.
  • @luvmy5 mine says under 24lbs ask a doctor. Mine is generic brand because when we needed it tylenol had their recall.
  • Have you noticed a diff in lo with generic? I usually buy the Walmart brand but had to get Advil last time and I swear he went longer without getting all cranky.
  • With that you can divide the lowest dose in half. The generic is the same as the name brand, only difference is the cost. Advil is ibuprofen and Tylenol is acetaminophin. Two totally different drugs.
  • @char honestly we have never used name brand, so I wouldn't know..but I wouldn't see how it would be any different, since its the same drug just different labels. Like @luvmy5 said tho one was an ibuprofen and the other is an acetaminophin so maybe thats why it took longer to take affect.
  • Yeah but I am thinking some of them may be just like other generic products. Not exactly the same as the good stuff.
  • @char well maybe...it has worked pretty well for us..usually less than 20-30 minutes.
  • If you read the labels, they are all the same ingredients in the same amounts. They have to by federal law. With name brand all you pay for is the brand name. Same stuff. But ibuprofen amd acetaminophin are two completely different drugs. One is an anti-inflammatory and the other is a fever/pain reducer. Ibuprofenis not recommended for children under 6 months, while acetaminophin is considered the 'safest drug'. Ibuprofen thins your blood just as aspirin does. For instance if your child fell and hit their head, you wouldn't want to give them ibuprofen because the chance they have internal bleeding, it would thin it and they could bleed inside, some cases critically. Acetaminophin would be the safe choice. Ibuprofen lasts for 8 hours and you should not give more than 3 times a day. Acetaminophin is every 4 hours and can be given 6 doses in a day. Please educate yourself on common medications to be safe.
  • I always buy the target brand or pedia care because there are so many recalls with tylenol. And Lily is 20 lbs too and the weight chart I have from her doctor says 3.75 ml.
  • @luvmy5 Yepp very well said.
    @lilliansmom oh yea, us too! It scares me too much, even if they are "safe". We never got one from our doctor the next time we go I will have to ask. Which will probly be tomorrow since she is all plugged up and won't drink from a bottle, she only wants to nurse.