stripping of the membranes

edited November 2012 in Third Trimester
I have a doctors appointment in the am and I will be 39 weeks (whoop whoop) so I'm wondering will the doctor attempt to strip my membranes or no ?? I just wanna be prepared because I will be by myself and my doctor is about 40 minutes away from home

Comments

• @ebbry89 You'll have to ask. My doc wouldn't, but I had a fluid check after my appt and I told the lady that he didn't check me and wouldn't strip my membranes. She said she would if that is what I wanted, it was uncomfortable, but I had my daughter 2 days later. :)
  • It depends on the doc. I would ask if I were you and if that is something you want.
  • I had mine done a few days before 40 weeks, and I still had to be induced a week later. If you wanna try it, ask. Worst that'll happen is they'll say no.
  • They will if you ask, I did and went in labor within 36 hours :-) it didn't hurt at all but you do have to be dialated some for them to do it!!
  • Yeah I remember when I was pregnant with my son they had the resident try to do it (she didn't like me and the feeling was mutual) and she tried to hurt me while attempting to do it but even while trying my cervix was still high
  • Just ask them and they will most likely do it, they stripped mine at 39w6d and my water broke the next day at 6am.
  • Well he checked my cervix and it was soft but I didn't ask for him to strip my membranes it totally slipped my mind but I'm sitting in labor and delivery to do fetal heart monitoring I guess they just sent me over here and didn't technically explain lol so I'm just a sitting and waiting and lonely lol
  • I know I have a baby and it might sound stupid. But what is that?
  • I really can't explain but it's something that holds the bag of waters ?? I hope someone corrects me on that
  • Stripping the membranes is when a finger is inserted into the cervix and kind of clears or sweeps the bag of waters away from the uterus without breaking the bag
  • Oh ok! So is it done all the time you go in? I never asked, I just did what I was told.