HCG Levels, question *update in comments*

edited December 2012 in Pregnant
For those who have had miscarriages, how long did it take your hcg levels to fall to zero? And/or have a negative HPT? Anyone experience positives as far out as five weeks past miscarriage?

Comments

• Mine was negative about three weeks after my loss.
  • Bump sorry ive never had a miscarage.
  • edited November 2012
    Hmm. Haven't bled since m/c. I was pretty far along though, so it has to just still be in my system. HPT was positive this morning. I guess I'll get another beta to make sure nothing is retained.

@mrsrobbins6113 @angel26
  • Keep us updated!
  • Ya, keep us updated. I hope you get answers. And im sorry you lost your baby. I hope you can heal from the loss.
  • @captivated I was almost ten weeks when I lost my baby. Keep me updated!
  • Maybe I am cold, but I don't feel any sadness in regards to the loss. I feel bad with people giving me condolences when ladies here want a baby badly and are crushed by their losses :(
  • Mine went back to zero at around 2 wks after
  • HCG LEVELS AFTER A MISCARRIAGE

Mar 28, 2011 | By Suzanne Robin

Human chorionic gonadotropin, also called hCG, tests the amount of the hormone produced by the placenta in early pregnancy. In a healthy pregnancy, hCG levels rise in a relatively predictable pattern, doubling every 48 to 72 hours, although initial hCG levels at the first pregnancy test, around the time of the first missed period, can vary considerably. In a pregnancy destined to end in miscarriage, hCG levels normally do not rise appropriately. After a miscarriage, the time for hCG levels to return to pre-pregnancy levels can vary.

LEVELS AT THE TIME OF MISCARRIAGE

Levels of hCG at the time of miscarriage vary depending on how long the pregnancy continued. For example,hCG levels at six weeks, two weeks after the first missed period, average between 1,080 mIU/mL and 56,500 mIU/mL, according to the American Pregnancy Association. The higher the hCG levels, the longer it will take for levels to return to normal after a miscarriage.

RETURN TO NORMAL

After miscarriage, the placental tissue detaches or is removed via a surgical dilatation and curettage. Since the placenta isn't putting out hCG, hCG levels will eventually drop to less than 5mIU/mL, considered a negative hCG. HCG levels normally return to negative levels by four to six weeks after a miscarriage, the American Pregnancy Association explains.

CONCERNS

When hCG levels continue to rise or don't fall appropriately after miscarriage, it's important that the reason is found. Choriocarcinoma occurs when placental root cells continue to grow after the end of a pregnancy during miscarriage or normal delivery. Persistent gestational trophoblastic disease occurs after a molar pregnancy, and occurs in 10 percent of cases after molar removal and can cause continued rises in hCG. Chemotherapy can cure choriocarcinoma in 80 to 90 percent of cases if begun promptly, according to the University of New Mexico and also has a high cure rate in molar pregnancy, according to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. If you get pregnant at the same time with a pregnancy in the uterus and also an ectopic pregnancy, a pregnancy outside the uterus, usually in the fallopian tubes, your hCG levels could continue to rise after the uterine pregnancy miscarried. Ectopic pregnancies in the tubes cannot continue to term and must be treated with surgery or with medicine to dissolve the pregnancy. Concurrent intrauterine and extrauterine pregnancies may occur as often as one in 4,000 pregnancies, according to an article in the May-June 1985 issue of "Acta Europaea Fertilitatis" by researchers from Tel Aviv University.

GETTING PREGNANT AGAIN

It's possible to get pregnant fairly quickly after a miscarriage. Normally, your next period will occur within four to six weeks, but in rare cases, ovulation may occur sooner, as
    soon as two weeks after a very early miscarriage, according to ACOG. If you get pregnant within a month after a miscarriage, your hCG levels might fall nearly to normal levels and then begin to rise again from a new pregnancy.
  • I got pregnant 2 weeks after the miscarriage I had at 5 weeks along. I got a bfn just 1 week after the miscarriage at 14 weeks. I was testing just to make sure my levels went down & they did fast for me.
  • I should have kept checking @wilsomom.

@everyone, thanks for the info and responses. Hard to tag from my phone!
  • edited December 2012
  • Take it as a blessing Congrats!!
  • Holy cow, are you ever going to catch a break??? I will be praying for you.
  • Wow! That is crazy hun! Could it have possibly been twins? Im so sorry!
  • I was told it's VERY easy to get pregnant after a miscarriage because your hormones are ready. I guess your body's still in pregnant mode. Sorry you're going through this... Maybe you're just suppose to like you said. :)
  • Im sorry. I know how against getting preg you were. But god apparently has a different plan for you. I hope things work out. I finally bought a test and im going to take it this morning. I hope i dont have the same result. Lol. Thinking of you.
  • Well I'm sorry if this isn't what you want right now but everything happens for a reason and every baby is a gift. I hope everything goes well and I'm sure this will be a blessing :)
  • I know that sometimes we are blessed with things we were avoiding or just not ready for. It is completely understandable. Just know that a blessing is a blessing, and the best ones come when they are unexpected. This may turn out to be the best thing for you. Try to stay calm and take it day by day. :)
  • That's weird! Doesn't it usually take you forever to show positive? Did you ever have a followup after the assault? Is it possible baby held on?
  • edited December 2012
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes 3+ is the highest. It means 5wks+ gestation. @thehumancrockpot. It can sometimes be off though.
  • Well, your body and your babies do seem to like defying crazy odds...;-) I'm sorry for everything you're going through though. Do you have an appointment scheduled soon? Please keep us updated!