Our dog is passing

edited November 2012 in Loss
I know this isn't directly related to pregnancy or babies so I'll just get to the point.

We had George (our dog) since before Lilium was born. He is old and showing all the signs of passing away very soon. We have talked to Victor (who is 9) and he understands that it is a natural part of life, I'm sure he will be sad but I am confidant he will be okay.

However Lilium is to young to understand death (she will be 2 in February) one of her first words was doggy, she feeds and waters him (with help) every day, hugs him constantly. He is honestly her best friend. She adored him. I don't know how to assist her in this transition, any advice on this would be great.

Comments

• Awe...im so sad to hear this. We don't have a dog now, but I did growing up. What about another pet for the 2 year old? I know it would never replace George, but maybe help fill the hole in her heart? So sorry!
  • I don't have much inside on what to do I'm very sorry and hope his not in too much pain. I think I would get the kids another pet and I'm sure that would help little.
  • I'm sorry to hear about this. I have no advice on the matter, but wanted to say I am thinking of you and your family, when I was growing up we had lost a couple dogs over the years. I agree with the other ladies tho, maybe a new animal.
  • Thanks everyone but I don't think I'm ready for a new dog.

My son has wanted a cat for years but I hate litter boxes maybe an indoor/outdoor cat but the road in front of our house gets busy during rush hour. Maybe we can work out something indoors/enclosed on the porch.

I'm not sure about a small caged animal, because it is so hard to judge It's temperament. That leaves fish. She could feed them each day and they are low maintenance.

Honestly I'm not sure about replacing him, to me it doesn't give off the right message about death. Maybe that's just me. I had a very difficult time dealing with the passing of my childhood doggy and I remember being very angry because my parents got dogs right away to replace her. I felt that I wasn't allowed to morn.

Thanks anyway, I'll talk to Hubby about maybe getting a new pet. Might be best if we wait a few months.
  • Oh yes, we didn't get a dog right after the other one past..it was a few months afterwards. Long enough for us to grieve and get past what had happened. Fish sound like a good idea..very easy to take care of. We also had rabbits growing up..they were ok, I wouldn't recommend, cause some days they were mean and others nice, but they were grown so maybe if you went with a baby one you would have better luck with it growing up sweet.
  • I read a while ago on the internet where the parents wrote a letter from the dog to the kid about how it was going to heaven and thanks for being such a good friend. I have no idea if that's age appropriate or, even if its a good idea, as Ive never gone through this either as a patent or a child, but thought I'd throw it out there.
  • @trixiesmom8 I had rabbits growing up. I'm not sure that would be a good fit for our family. We have a neighbor who keeps several and they have a decent habitat attached to their garage. Maybe I'll talk to them and see what they recommend.

@natashalynn I love that idea but Lilium is only 22 months currently. She loves to "read" but I don't think she would understand the concept. Maybe I'll do that for Victor, he understands better, my grand father passed a little over a year ago, but it would be a nice reenforcment.
  • Ah fair enough. Well either way I'm sorry. It's never easy losing a pet, bet its even harder trying to explain to your kids. :(
  • edited November 2012
    I'm so sorry :'( i wa thinking fish but some fish die quick.
  • I was 6 when my dog passed (she was born same week I was) . I was devestated. My mom bought me a stuffed animal dog that looked just like my pet. It really helped me. I snuggled it anytime I felt sad. Maybe find a stuffed pet for comfort
  • edited November 2012
    Yea, I'm not big on caged animals either. I really like @doodles idea with the stuffed animal esp for lilium..since she won't seem to understand why poor puppy is gone.
  • We had fish and my daughter loved them.

I like the idea of getting her a stuffed animal.that looks like George it may help her.
  • @doodles That is a WONDERFUL idea! Maybe take her to build a bear and put one of his dog tags in there to help her associate it with him. Thank you so much.

Neither Hubby nor I are happy with the thought of a new pet just yet. I'm not saying it is a bad idea it is just not the right idea for our family at this time. Thank you every one for your thoughs and advice.
  • http://shelterpups.com/b4aftr.php

I found this off of pinterest...idk how much it would cost or where you live, but I know you had discussed on getting a stuffed animal that looked like the dog. Thought maybe thks could help. I know I'm a bit late, but I just found this and thought of you. Hope you are doing well!
  • Im so sorry about your dog. I lost my dog the night before Christmas eve! I've had him since I was 6. He was 16 so it was his time to go but it was still extremely hard. My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time!
  • @Máthair how are you all doing? Did you end up getting the stuffed animal?
  • I am sorry. I know what your are going through though. I had to put my dog down on the 15th. She would have been 12yrs next month, and I have had her since
  • Thanks all, he passed away a few weeks ago. We had to take him to the e-vet and have him put down because he was suffering to much. He seemed like he was going to get better because he was walking around and even drank a bit but later that night he started, best way to describe it is screaming because it wasn't a bark and wasn't a howl. He couldn't move at all. It was terrible and he was suffering so much. So my husband took him in. It breaks my heart just thinking of him but I am glad he is at peace.

We did end up getting stuffed toys, Victor understands but Lilium keeps looking for her doggy. It will just take time. We took a casting of his paw and will be making a memorial plate for him this summer to put in our garden where he used to sleep. Maybe plant a butterfly bush or some berries...

Thanks again everyone.
  • So sorry! Glad he is no longer in pain.