when to start potty training lo

edited December 2012 in Potty Training
My lo is 17 months and I want to start potty training her, I've had alot of people tell me not to cuz she is still young but with thebprice of diapers and with another baby coming in just 3 months I feel i need to start. But should I

Comments

• My.mom had me and my sisters potty trained at 18 months. My oldest was trained at 2(he's a boy and they say it takes longer with boys). Just don't force her. Make using the potty fun. You could do a potty chart, cheap prizes when she goes, and bring books and toys in the bathroom. Key is not to pressure her into it
  • I was getting her ready for a bath yesterday and decided to sit in the toilet and asked her if she needed to.go potty since she
  • Would smack her diaper when she went I would try
  • Lauren started going in her potty at 9months.:) if they're interested It's not too early.
  • See I needed to know this too because my son is 17 months as well and every time I go use the bathroom he looks in the toilet and claps for me lol and when he has to stinky he squats and I just had a baby last Sunday so I think I might start potty training as well because buying diapers for both of them is expensive !
  • @ebbry89 lol Scarlett does that too. She follows both of us to the bathroom and gets so happy for us. She's still little though so I'm going to wait. But my mom did the 3 day potty training it's book with all of us. The girls had it down by day 2. It pretty much says u take them to the bathroom every 30 minutes and if they go u give them m&m's :) that way it's fun and 1 or 2 little small treats won't hurt them.
  • I might try that but instead of m&ms ill use fruit snacks .. And maybe I should sit his potty in the bathroom
  • @ebbry89 that's great idea. That's just what she used they didn't have fruit snacks back then. But much better still sweet but little healthier :)
  • McKinley is 18 months and has been mostly pottytraned for two weeks now. Still goes at night,but we rarely have accidents during the day now. I personally don't buy into the wait till they're 24 months, since the study that originally found this out were a diaper company. Go figure.
  • edited December 2012
    A baby doesn't even have bladder control at 9 months sorry but I mean come on @Mrs4c
  • Actually they do. Look up elimination communication. My daughter was in cloth diapers until 9 months. She started holding her pee and would not go in cloth anymore. So we gave elimination communication a try and she has done wonderfully with it!:) she's now 14 months and poops and pees in her potty almost every time. She probably will be ready for her potty at night around the new year. :) Elimination communication is not a good fit for everyone, but when your daughter starts holding her pee in at 9 months you try new things so she doesn't hurt or mess up her bladder.
  • @kenzie0713 also cloth diapered babies tend to learn that they become wet when going to the bathroom sooner. Lauren picked up on it a lot sooner then I was ready for, but I'm glad I learned about elimination communication. I was thinking something was wrong with her at first. I've come to find out babies have bladder control at birth!!! Super crazy, but the disposable diapers most Americans use actually reverse their urge to pee in their area. Some do elimination communication for birth.
  • *reverse their urge NOT to pee in their area.
  • I wish I had started EC at birth! I have noticed Ollie holds his pee at night now...maybe I should give it a try!
  • I know I wish I started EC w/Kayla too..at least I know I got moneys worth with cloth diaper!

My friends daughter was pt by 1 yrs old
  • My LO just wants to stand inside her potty bowl and dance.
  • Well said @mrs4c I wish I could do ec with Damien but at 13 months he still hates his potty! He's cloth diapered too.
  • Thanks everyone I'm gonna start linna tomorrow age holds her pee after she wakes for about an hour in the morning I'm going threw less diapers but I don't want to spend 60bucks aweek on 2 separate sizes
  • My daughter will be 16 months by Xmas and that's when were starting, I think she's smart enough to get it and she's really interested in the toilet! Lol so that will be one of her Xmas gifts, a potty!
  • Alinna is like that she runs in there when I go and already knows that ur supposed to wipe cause she hands me the some tp which she thunks justva tear is enough we first got her potty chair about 4 months ago and she just played with it
  • @Mrs4c my cousin had her son potty trained by 12 mo. Some people just think because they can't do it or it hasn't happened to them, that it can't be real.
  • My mom had my sister and I potty trained by 13 months. Although its apparently easier with girls. No idea how true that is though.