not wanting anything that looks or taste like milk.

edited December 2012 in Babies Health
My daughter is almost 13 months. She started out on whole milk at the end of 11 mths. She did just fine, really loved it. Then she got sick one day throwing up and since then will NOT drink milk or anything that taste or looks like milk. I have tried pedia sure, chocolate milk, strawberry. She had her check up and is 17 lbs pounds. Doctor said go back to formula to help her gain weight. That was a no go. Im so out of options. Any ideas ladies??? She is very small as Im a small person 4 11 105 pounds. So she is expected to be little also. But I know she needs the calcium and more weight gain. She eats all day but is the type that takes a few bites and is done. Any advice will be very helpful. Thanks :)

Comments

• Use it in hee meals instead if water.. for oatmeal, soup, anything that uses water.
  • Thanks I will try that @caroline8_p. :)
  • There are plenty of things out there food wise that have calcium in them. I know you can get calcium is diary obviously, but there is certain types if butter, and I think veggies. I'll go look it up, and repost what I find. My husband was vegan for 4 months, so finding calcium in non dairy ways was what he did. Brb!
  • Okay, soy beans, kale or any leafy dark green veggie, almonds, broccoli, black strip molasses. Did you know that kale actually has more calcium than milk does per ounce? You can make kale chips, they're easy to make, and are actually pretty good. Also try with Flintstone vitamins. No kid eats right.. You kinda gotta figure them out, and work from there. She might come back around to milk eventually.. Maybe next time you try to give it to her, water it down a lot, and put out in a dark colored bottle/sippy. If she takes that, just continue to water it down for her until you can build her tolerance back up for it.
  • Omgsh! You could try vanilla ice cream! See if she'll eat it, then as it melts, try giving her some that has melted. Maybe you have to trick her to like milk again..?
  • Try adding an ounce of vanilla almond milk to her milk. That's how I got Ollie to start drinking goat milk.
  • @emmieken thank you soo much for all that info. I will definitely try those. Ice cream we did try tonight. It was cold she had a funny face but kept wanting more :)

@ashley_smashley. Thanks I sure will. Anything little thing helps
  • Once you get her hooked on the ice cream, she'll acquire the taste for vanilla, and then you should be able to just give her vanilla flavored milk. If all goes as planned that is! Lol Isn't it so much fun being a mom?! It can be almost like being a dang detective/doctor! Good luck with your little one! I think it's kinda cute that she refuses anything milk like. My son was so against milk at first, and now LOVES that crud! I hope he doesn't go through this if he gets the bug.
  • @emmieken I know it's crazy all the trials and errors. But I love being a mom so much. I just cant believe how fast they grow :(. I always heard ppl say it but when you become a mom wow its so fast. She is almost 13 mths on the 10. She has such a funny personality so this stage is fun. As far as the milk goes I bought a sippy cup yesterday that she couldn't tell what was in there so I put some milk and she chugged it then realized it was milk threw it down, picked it up and turned it over till milk started coming out and making a mess lol. All I could do was laugh and her thinking this is what I think about milk haha. But im trying everyday till something works :)
  • That is too cute! They can be so dang smart at such a young age! I would try giving it a couple days in between giving her milk. She'll most likely get over this fear of milk soon. Idk if I mentioned it already, I probably did, but have forgotten, but my son HATED any type of milk at first, and now he LOVES IT! I also don't give him formula anymore, so maybe he is thinking this is his formula now..? I know at first, I would have to heat the milk up, and add ovaltene to it to have gin even drink a little of it! And he wouldn't drink the fat free milk we drink either. Lol we HAD to get him his own while milk to even wean him on milk. Lol I was extremely stressed thinking my son would never like milk. But it pissed after a couple days of skipping it.
  • @emmieken how old is your lo?
  • He is 12 months as of November 27th.