Need ideas! :)

edited December 2012 in Food
Ok as some of you know about the misfortune about Marquis job situation. However I am very proud of him for not giving up and especially for staying up there all week to make some money and showing the company that he is dedicated, and that he was so fast to continue looking for work. Plus I missed him I've never been away from him that long. Soo I would like to make him nice meal (he loves food!) Like most men. And I cook pretty much all our meals but they are usually rotated. I want to do like full out thing for him and something I don't usually make. Have some sort of an appetizer, then dinner and desert which is his favorite part. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate the help. But no red meat lol.

Comments

• An easy (& very man approved!) Appetizer is bacon jalopeno poppers. Use Pillsbury crescent rolls, cut them into smaller sizes and make them into a pouch with bacon pieces (you can use that pre cooked pre crumbled bacon but real bacon is better), cream cheese (I like using the garlic & herbs kind) and jalapeno pieces (I usually use the pickled since they have a more consistent spice level) then bake at 350 for 10-15 mns or until golden and puffy. So dang good!
  • Main course, I'd suggest maybe maple salmon. Take salmon and marinate with teriyaki sauce, then bake in the oven, for about 20 mns, then take out drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle brown sugar, then back in the oven for 5 minutes.
  • @natashalynn thank you! Those do sounds good. I know everything but I have no idea what the jalapeno pieces so they have it like dry at the store I've just never used it before. Lol that's most important part and that's the one thing I don't know.
  • No worries man. They're with the canned pickles. So they're in the dry section! Usually pre sliced.
  • @natashalynn ok cool I can find that :) how much of those do u usually use? Just like sprinkle.
  • For the appetizer?
  • @natashalynn yes. How much jalapeno pieces so u use? I don't want to over do it.
  • Cut the jalopenos into smaller pieces (each slice into maybe 4-5 pieces) then put maybe 6-8 pieces in each?Honestly, the more you can stuff in, the better!
  • If dessert is his favorite then I have to share my favorite cake recipe! The thing about this cake is that it gets better the longer you have it around. If you can wait long enough, have your first slice the day after you make it.

Snickers Cake

1 box devils food cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 jar Smucker's hot caramel ice cream topping
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    caramel sauce
    chocolate sauce

1. Bake cake in a 9x13-inch pan according to direction on the package.

2. While cake is baking, mix condensed milk and hot caramel topping until well blended. When the cake is done and while it's still hot, poke holes in it with a fork or straw. Pour milk mixture over the cake. Allow cake to cool completely. Sprinkle chocolate chips over cake.

3. In a chilled bowl, whip together heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Whip on high speed of an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes. Spread over cake. Drizzle caramel and chocolate sauce on top. Chill.
  • @natashalynn thank you for explaining!

@molly this sounds amazing! I'm for sure using it. Now what if I make it like early morning so it can sit all afternoon then we can have it in the evening. :)
  • Yeah that would work! It needs to chill right after you're done making it, so if you make it in the morning, pop it in the fridge for the afternoon and it should be nice and cool by dinner.
  • @Molly yay! Thank you very much :)
  • @jules No prob! Let me know how it turns out!
  • Will do!