pcos/metformin

edited December 2012 in Breastfeeding
I think my pcos is having an effect on my supply! I am pumping half of what i was getting before and it has been going on for a week or so. I have an appointment today with the pedi but i think i have tanked to the point of no return! I never thought that breastfeeding my child would be so hard to do...it is only natural that i should be able to provide for him. I feel so terrible about it and hate feeling like a failure. I have tried fenugreek, brewers yeast, upping protein, pumping after every feeding, reglan (until i had facial muscle twitches) and my only other thought is going back on metformin but i dont know if i can safely. Since i work full time it is almost an all or nothing deal it seems. I just cant stand knowing that he may not be fully satisfied :`(

Comments

• Jackson is 11 lbs 8 oz at 4 months. The doctor recommended switching to formula at this point since he fights to nurse at every feeding. I can stop crying and feeling absolutly terrible that i cant continue to provide for him and now it is becomming a terrible stress for me. Time to go crawl into my hole and cry. To top it off, my husband told me i was being selfish...selfish for wanting to provide the best for my son?!? He is not helping the cause at all!
  • Pcos can do one of two things make u overproduce or underproduce just another {#%^* lovely thing pcos gives.
  • PCOS makes you have surges of testosterone, which is probably the hormone causing the most issues. Are you finding time to exercise? Are you refraining from eating a lot of simple sugars and carbohydrates? PCOS is, in most cases, controlled by diet and exercise. Meformin is used to treat insulin resistance that is associated with PCOS. It helps your body better utilize and absorb glucose, which prevents the cascade of ailments caused by PCOS. I don't think metformin will be the magic pilll you are looking, as you can have the same effect with changing your lifestyle a little. Good luck. I know how frustrating both PCOS and breastfeeding struggles can be.