Advice

edited December 2012 in Breastfeeding
So I could use some advice regarding breastfeeding...as you've probably already gathered from my title and subject lol
Anyways...I was only able to breast feed my son for a few Weeks after he was born last November. I was passing huge clots of blood but the nurses just told me to keep feeding him so I did. Turns out no milk was being produced or at least not enough to unclog the blood clots. Caiden, my LO, ended up in the NICU for days because he went about a week with little to nothing to eat(I just did what the nurses told me) I tried pumping and to continue breast feeding but no luck and I never really got any anwsers as to why that was happening. I'm now pregnant with my 2nd....only a little over 7 Weeks, and I really want to be able to breast feed this time. I'm going to get a better pump because mine wasnt the best last time, but is there anything else I can do during pregnancy to ensure better success? Any advice is greatly appreciated! ^:)^

Comments

• Drink lots of water and fruits and vegetable and u can take fenugreek but not sure if u can take it while pregnant or after baby is born
  • U really just have to wait til u deliver. Ur body knows when it gives birth and will soon produce milk after. Try nursing at least within 1hr of birth. You'll only have colostrum til ur milk comes in. Forget the nurses, ask to speak with a lactation consultant while ur still in the hospital. And nurse while they're in ur room so they can see the latch and give feedback. Ur level of milk all depends on how much u nurse. Babies are more efficient at getting milk out than a pump. I can absolutely confirm that. As long as ur nursing often and on both sides, you'll be fine. You can pump out excess milk if u get engorged. When u start pumping/giving baby a bottle of breastmilk, u may see a decrease in ur supply. If u want to nurse for a long time, don't pump unless you absolutely have to. U should nurse at every opportunity. I had to go back to work full time so I had to pump. my supply dwindled to nothing and I had to stop just before 8 months. N I tried everything u can think of to keep it up. In my experience, fenugreek and domperidone worked but I had to take it in high doses in the end. I also had to havethe domperidone shipped in from new Zealand because its not FDA approved. If u want any more tips or advice let me know. I suggest talking to a lactation consultant during ur pregnancy and close to ur due date so its all freshon ur mind. Sorry for the long post!
  • Were u passing clots thru your nipples?? Or did I misunderstand that. I've never heard of that
  • @alilboulding thanks for all of the advice! Yes, I was passing the blood clots through my nipples. One was stuck halfway out and I called the nurse in and she just said she'd never seen that before and asked to touch it. She called another nurse in and they didnt seem concerned just said to continue breastfeeding and let him eat the blood as it comes. Every shift change I was "the weird nipple" girl but they never did anything about it or offered formula so I just kept trying. We took him back the night I was released(I was in there 5 days because I spiked a fever during labor) because he was lethargic and he was so dehydrated it took 4 hrs and the flight for life team to be able to get an IV in to give him fluids. All his veins had collapsed and thats when they intervened with formula because he was hooked up to all the machines
  • @waitingformybaby thanks for the words of advice!
  • @alilboulding FYI I was able to get Domperidone locally. My doctor ordered it for me, but I had to get it from a pharmacy that compounds meds. I think it's just not FDA approved to be used as a breast milk stimulant, but can still be prescribed.
  • that is so crazy about the blood and him being dehydrated! You should definitely mention that to the lactation consultant, they may know more about it and how to prevent or fix it if it happens again. & correction, I actually made it to 9 months. I went back to work when my son turned 3 months old. so over 6 months, it gradually dropped and became dependent on the meds. I was taking 4 fenugreek 4 times a day and then 1 domperidone 4 times a day too. and if I missed a dose, my milk supply dropped. it was nuts..
    @baileygoose I'm glad your doc actually prescribed it! My doc was like suspicious about it and wanted to give me Reglan..
    @Rockiespurple I ordered the domperidone on my own and did that for a few months, then I wanted to give the Reglan a try. (another prescription to help increase your supply). Reglan worked, but the way it's prescribed is they start you out on high dose and then taper it over a few weeks. Every time I tapered, my supply would drop. The domperidone seemed to be better. I could go on forever.. like I said, just email me at ashleyboulding@gmail.com if you have questions on what worked/didn't work for me etc. I recommend Le Leche League to talk to a consultant if you can't get through to one at your hospital. Every consultant I ever spoke to was extremely helpful.