cartoon time

edited December 2012 in Parenting
How much cartoon time do you allow your little one? My lo is so active, he does really well playing on his own and exploring his envornment (he is 13 mon) but he lives his cartoons (BabyfirstTV only, if we turn on amything else he doesnt seem interested) he probably watches a good 1-2 hrs tgroughout the day in incriments of like 15 mins. Is this too much? Abyone elses lo watching tv?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My lo is 18 months, and she gets tv when eating (either the cat in the hat or sesame street) other than that she doesn't really care for it. I might put it on for her while making dinner, if she hasn't had a nap, cause otherwise she's underfoot the whole time or wants to be held. So maybe an hour a day here?
  • My LO watches maybe half an hour or less a,day but he doesn't really care for it, which I am thankful for. My bff has a 15mo old who watches TV ALL day! And she is glued to it, if u call her name she won't even turn around, she's literally hyponotized! I think its horrible!
  • My lo isnt addicted but he likes it, sometimes he points at the tv or brings me the remote. How do you keep your little ones occupied bit not just to roam around on their own playing with toys? How much time do you spend on the floor playing and showing them things vs. Letting them play independebtly?
  • My LO loves baby first tv! I turn it on for about 30 min in the morning and 30 mon in evening. He also loves Nemo and Lion King..,I keep those for when I really need to get crap done.
  • I should have read this before posting. I am wondering if my 12 month old is watching too much TV. He will only watch bubble guppies but if I let him I really think he would watch it 10 hours a day. I usually let him watch 2 twenty minute episodes before bed and then again in the evening so we can cook dinner and clean up. Is this too much?
  • I meant before nap time and then before bed
  • edited December 2012
    My little one doesn't like tv for some reason she rather run around making my apartment a mess lol and bugging her sister
  • @ExcitedForOctober ok u made me feel bad lol my son has hes tv on all day while playing. There all learning cartoons.
  • edited December 2012
    Is there something wrong with kids watching too much tv ????????? Just wondering LADIES.........
  • I think there is such a thing as too much tv, @roxy. While they may be educational shows, there's no comparison with hands on learning (in my opinion) plus they don't stimulate their imagination! My favorite memories as a kid are playing with sticks and leaves in the back yard pretending to cook up magic potions in my tree house, or building mini walls with snow to play house,. Stuff like that. I think imagination goes hand in hand with learning to think for yourself, which is a huge asset later in life. But that's just my two cents. I'm no Dr, or psychologist, or anything professional. Just another mom with an opinion lol
  • Nyla is 15 months & we watch cartoons & learning channels alot if she's not playing Or drawing. We always have something on tv for her to watch wether she watches it Or not. I dont see anything wrong with watching tv.....
  • I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with tv or having it on all day, when I am home I have it on all day as I do things but when your 15 mo old is glued to the TV all day like an old lady glued to her soap opera I think that's horrible. I hate when parents use the tv as a babysitter.
  • @ExcitedForOctober yea glued and using it for a baby sitter true
  • edited December 2012
    I don't limit tv time, if we are home it is on but we do not sit in front of it and watch it we are always doing stuff, playing etc. I do allow tv in the morning when she wakes up in the crib and I allow 30 mins at bed time also it helps put her to sleep. My daughter is 15 months
  • @gatorbob we love hooplakids on you tube, me and my son are both addicted! They have awesome beats in the music. Rion is fifteen months and knows all the animal sounds, some of the alphabet, and he can count to 15 I know its from us watching those videos, and I sing the songs throughout the day. So I agree with your statement!
  • I think my son is addicted to television. As soon as he wakes up he grabs the remote. He could be playing then all of sudden once the tv comes on, he walks up to it as if in a trance and just watches. If I try to get his attention while he's watching tv he literally gives me the hand and tries to push me away without ever looking away from it lol. If he's in his high chair I might try to stand in front of it and he will try to look around me lol. So I've been trying to cut his tv time back because I want his full attention, but my mom always walks in the room and cuts it on.
  • My daughter watches tv. I don't give her a time limit.. as long as she's far away from it so it won't hurt her eyes i don't see it as a problem. Plus it really helps me out when I'm trying to cook dinner and she's in everything. She also plays a lot so I'd say about 4 hours throughout the day i don't know.. yo gabba gabba is on constantly even when she's playing independently