Getting Fat :(

edited January 2013 in Health
I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old, so, I haven't had a period. Anyways, I lost all of my pregnancy weight, no special diet, just eating how I always do and breastfeeding. Well, now I'm getting fat. I don't understand. I walk everyday. I've gained at least 10 pounds in ONE month and it's definitely not muscle. I use birth control (I know it didn't work last time, but I figured I'd give it another try). It's worrying me that something might be wrong with me. I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, I am just getting fat, fast! I dunno what to do. The fat has come so quickly that it stings. :(

Comments

• Have you checked your thyroid levels? Do you also feel tired alot?
  • Birth control can cause weight gain.... Im sorry I hate gaining weight! I start drinking alot of water and stop drinking pop when I need to lose weight
  • @ExcitedForOctober I haven't had them checked, and I've actually felt "wired" lately.
  • @Maymommy2011 It's low hormone BC, I used it for 4 months after I had my daughter, I never had an issue with it. And I already drink loads of water and I haven't had soda in a long time because I was pregnant twice, breastfed the first, and currently breastfeeding. So probably 2 or more years. I drink lots of decaf coffee with french vanilla creamer though.
  • You should just in case.
  • @ExcitedForOctober Do I have to see a special doctor or can my regular doctor do it?
  • Nope, your regular doctor. All they need to do is draw a little blood.
  • :( I have no idea what could be wrong. But I feel so bad, I hate gaining weight it makes me so so so super duper sad. But I agree get checked just to he on the safe side.
  • @ExcitedForOctober Thank you.

@firsttimemom I am usually so slender and I feel like crying every time I try to put my favorite jeans on. Even my husband has noticed. :(
  • That's even worst. I'm not sure about your eating habits but maybe Before you go to the Dr you should eat super healthy and drink lots of water, drink tea. There's this one tea I drink that helps me go potty the next day from all that bad stuff ii eat the day before. It's healthy caffeine free. I'm not sure what its called but when I get home ill check. But I have a problem going so that helps me a lot. Maybe some sit UPS I have the p90x but all I do is the ab video which is like 30min. Not sure if any of this will help, it doesn't hurt to try.
  • The same has been happening to me. I've been ebfing my 4 month old and have noticed that I lost the weight I gained, but I have gained a little back, and I'm usually really slender as well. Sucks because I want to wear my other clothes, but keep putting on weight :(
  • Birth can control causes weight gain although bf causes opposite symptoms for everyone some get so hungry and can eat all they want and not get fat some get hungry all the time, eat all the time n get fat other people dont get hungry at all that much. I get super hungry and will be eating a snack every three hours but the longer i bf the more weight i loose hopefully i can do it longer this time
  • Same thing happened to me, i was 155 when i got prego, 168 at delivery, then was 140 at 2 day check, 125 at 6 wk check, i bf till lo was 12 mos, i weighed 110 when i stopped and gain weight rather quickly once i stopped bf, i think its just burning some many calories... i know it sucks i was in a size 0 havent been that small in years... it sure was nice
  • Oh and i didnt take any bc until baby was 16 mos old... all weigh was gained prior to taking bc so i dont think thats it
  • Are u still bf as much as u were?
  • I've been thinking about you and wahlah, here you are. I've missed you.

I know from previous conversations, you maintain a pretty healthy diet. Although, coffee creamer packs a lot of fat per tablespoon. If you consuming more than usual compared to previous pregnancies, the creamer itself may be a big contributor to recent weight gain. In my professional opinion one of three things is happening; (1) You are not consuming enough calories and are inadvertently causing unintended weight gain, (2) You are consuming too many calories, where calories in exceed calories out, or (3) As we age our metabolisms start slowing and our normal routines are not enough to sustain our normal weight. You will find that you'll have to modify your diet and exercise some.

How is the baby?
  • @fate i was on Lo Loestrin for about 4 months and i blew up! The doctor gave me that BC because its low hormone but that was still the side effect for me. It may be that its a side effect.
  • @SalasMommy I breastfeed SO much. Hubby said he would get me a gym membership soon, I just know I won't be able to go as much as he thinks I will.

@0811 I've been breastfeeding more lately. He eats A LOT (I even made a post about his piggie-ness).

@Mijita I see you all the time in HOH! :)

I sometimes have a problem eating enough calories, I know it's bad, but a lot of the stuff I eat just doesn't pack a calorie punch. The creamer does though. Sooooooo many calories! I might have to start one of those crazy workouts at home like @firsttimemom mentioned. Ugh. :( The baby is good.. He weighs a whopping 17 pounds. Almost as much as my 18 month old. Lol.

@EricaK22 I don't know about you, but it's very disheartening to eat as much as we have to, to keep a good supply, knowing that it doesn't work anymore to keep our weight off. :(
  • @perly I have been on it for a few months, I just thought if I were to have any side effects, they'd have shown before this.
  • The Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is a great DVD for busy mamas! It's a really thorough workout in about 28 mins. You can get it on amazon for $10!
  • @starrxoxo9 I looked at reviews for that yesterday and before/after pics. Definitely gonna look into it. Is that what you're doing?
  • I was until I got lazy lol. We bought a treadmill for Christmas so now I've been using that and just using moves from the DVD lol.
  • But I did notice a significant loss in inches and I felt tighter all over while I was doing it. No real pound loss though.
  • @starrxoxo9 I hope I can keep some sort of regimine.
  • I'm the worst at it. I get into it for like a month and then I quit lol.
  • @fate oh, then it might be something else. Could it be water retention?
  • Hmmm, I guess I've missed your post there. Eating less can definitely add on the unwanted pounds.
  • Well whatever u do don't go starving yourself continue to eat normal amount just healthy but other then that if you are exercising and getting good sleep I would get the thyroid check just in case it could have changed after children. It could be that with the hormone change and the birth control difference.
  • Maybe its the birth control pill?
  • This is on my mind lately. Wondering how it will go this time, as I gained 20 pounds nursing my son. I was eating healthy, less than 2000 calories a day and walking, but no go. When I cut calories, my baby lost weight! :-( If I were you I'd definitely chuck the BC and see if that's the difference.