question about stool softener after giving birth

edited January 2013 in Postpartum Health
it says on the bottle to ask before taking it longer than a week. im coming up on that now and was wondering if anyone else took stool softener for longer than a week after giving birth. I'm still having a rough time down there and already having a hard time having a bowel movement even WITH the stool softener so I dont want to stop taking it if I dont have to.
I just hate to call my dr about something so stupid even though I know he won't think it's stupid. but I thought I would ask here first.

Comments

• I've taken it longer than a week b4. I think it's fine (I'm not in the medical field tho). Also remember it helps to drink lots of water and high fiber foods.
  • I took them longer then a week wit all 3 babies
  • Me too i took it for 4-6 weeks after delivery
  • Take it until it no longer hurts to poop. No one told me why you needed them so I didn't take any at first and holy crap was that first poop painful. I took them for a month after my son was born.
  • Lol @frantastic my husband laughs when I say that but its true. I had a c section and didn't think it would the first time. They even gave me a stool softeners at the hospital and I was about in tears
  • @kayleigh27 I wish someone had warned me lol. I remember the nurses bringing me pain meds and stool softeners and I was all like I don't need either of those. I cried that first poo was so bad, my husband was worried because I was in the bathroom FOREVER and sobbing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just make sure you get STOOL SOFTENERS and not laxatives. There is a difference.... and a dumb nurse who didnt realize and made for a HORRIBLE day after giving birth! Eek!