Ear Tube Question HELP

edited January 2013 in Pregnant
Ive herd so much stuff i dont know what to do anymore. Ive been told it helps that my friends son hasnt had an ear infection since, ive herd wait til he is 2. Ive herd dont wait because someone i work with had to wait til her son was 2 and he had to take a speech class til he was in the 4th grade... I have my boyfriends dad telling me to get a 2nd opion because his daughter told him a story that freaked him out I JUST WANT WHAT WILL HELP MY SON BEST!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who has faced this decision and either went threw with it or didnt i want to know what your doctors told you all. Mine said if he always is having fluid behind his ears and he is on his 6th ear infection that its best to get it done. I have a surgery schudled for the 28th... but i want to hear everyones stories to compare... I JUST WANT TO DO WHATS RIGHT FOR EMILIO :(

Comments

• Only u can decide. It's hard being a parent sometimes. I had a lot of eat infections as a toddler and lost a little hearing from it... Nothing drastic but it can happen. Good luck w whatever u choose. My sister got em in my nieces ears for the same reason. Everything went smooth.
  • My step daughter got them when she was baby everything went really well and no ear infections after!
  • Jack has an appt on the 16th. Def doing it if he needs it
  • @mommyof3girl @Jules Thanks for the stories. I know everything will be fine. @sands3 Please keep me updated on how it goes for you guys. I'll pray everything goes smoothly for Jack :)
  • My lo had tubes placed at 15 months old, back in November, we had a good experience no infections since... i also heard lots of scary stories but we weighed pros and cons and so far im glad we had it done!! Good luck, ask dr lots of ?s and all your concerns!!! :)
  • My daughter suffered from terrible ear infections and her hearing was greatly impacted. At 9 months she had ear tubes. The most terrifying and sad day of my life seeing her being taken away for surgery. It only took about 30 mins and she has been such a different baby!! Hasnt had an ear infection since! I know its a big scary decision but it is so common and it will be ok!! Hope this helps!
  • Ps her hearing screens came back to almost 100% !!!
  • edited January 2013
    My cousins son had them done at 10mo. He was also a cleft palate baby and was averaging 1-3 ear infections a month for 5months straight. It went really well and his hearing is now perfect.
  • My son had them done at 18 months. He was a different child! No more infections & he wasn't talking at all...then all of a sudden he was talking like crazy! The surgery was fast & recovery too. I hope the best for your little one!
  • As a side note, I've also had ear infections as an adult to where I couldn't hear right. It's so annoying not being able to hear anything on the outside, but you can hear everything inside your head louder...like when you plug your ears. I chose to have my ear drained once & it was painful (dr poked a hole in my ear drum), but so much better with my hearing back. It's def a tough decision, but either way you're doing what you think is best & that's all you can do. :)
  • @0811 that's great! I've asked tons of questions I also work at a surgery center so I've talked to an anesthetilogist,two ortho surgeons, five rn's, not to mention 2 urgent care doctors and my sons pcp im sure this is best for him and I'm sure it will be fine I will be worried sick though. @Rayray thats great I hope it helps my son. He is starting too talk louder I've noticed. @frantastic im happy it turned out well for your cousins son! @wilsomom thank you im happy it helped your son as well. Im noticing theres more good storys then bad. Makes me feel lots better. I've had ear infections with him the last two times. It hurts :( makes me sad for the little ones.
  • Just want to throw out that tubes arent always a permenant fix..i had them placed young at about 15 months....they helped termendously for the time they stayed in....had them placed two more times from the time i was two until five. Now as an adult i still have one in my left ear lol...so just keep in mind that it is not always a forever thing..i kniw my case was pretty serious at the time and im sure medically lots has changed since then..but it might be worth asking the docs what the long term looks like, if its possible for them to bwcome dislodged and needed again. Regardless of that tho i think when a baby is suffering from reccuring ear infections and they believe tubes are the answer, i think its the safe way to go. No one wants their babies to suffer, and hopefully this make it all better for him!! Good luck, prayers all goes well!
  • edited January 2013
    True^^ My son's fell out around age 2 but he didn't need them anymore, thank goodness.
  • My daughter kept getting ear i.fections got her tubes and has been great since
  • My son is 15 months old and just got tubes in his ears on January 2nd. He has had 6 ear infections in the past 8 months, and when he got checked out he had 50% hearing loss in each ear from having so many infections, and that is why I felt he needed the surgery. They said it would prevent ear infections and help him gain his hearing back. He also got his adnoids removed at the same time. They also said that they would come out by 2 years old and they would check him to see if he needed them again at that time, but most kids do not. If he did not get them he would have speech and hearing problems forever, so I felt I needed to try and prevent these problems for him. Surgery was at 7am, we went back with him, got him dressed and he laid on the bed, they gave him some liquid medicine to relax him, checked all his vitals, by 7:45 we had to leave and they took him back, and by 8:15 we were back with him again while he was waking up. The worse part was him screaming and freaking out when he was waking up. The anesthesia is hard for them to wake up all the way from, so they are confused and out of it at first, and he could finally hear clearly so his own voice being so loud and clear was very different for him. He calmed down after about an hour and we were able to go home. He slept most of the day, and was normal the next day. I reccommend getting it done, we go back next week for his check up to see how much he can hear now and make sure he is all healed. Good luck, and make sure you are comfortable with the doctor, it makes a world of a difference.
  • Thank you!
  • I got my sons done at 15m, that was 5m ago.. I definitely see a difference in him. When he first started talking it sounded a bit muffled since hes been hearing things as if he was under water. Now his words r getting clear. But u do have make sure no water gets into the ear, oncce the tubes r placed there's nothing to block the water from going down to the eardrum n causing an infection. They gave me earplugs so I can wash his hair... As for the surgery I think I was in more pain than he!! I held back tears when they put him under, scared in the recovery room, n I didn't calm down till we were riding home. N umm I thought I would get a nap HA he was up bouncing around more than b4!!!
  • @Coltonsmamma Thank you for the prayers! I did ask about them falling out because I have a coworker who's daughters came out and she had to get them again. The doctor even told us that Emilio could keep getting ear infections even with the tubes. I thought that was craziness. But I've been doing lots of reading about it. So I'm not as worried and clueless as I was the day of his appointment lol :) Thank you again
    @Wilsomom I'm hoping if they do fall out they do like your son and doesn't need them anymore that would be great :)
    @arysmommy1116 That's what I'm hoping for with Emilio, glad to hear your little one is doing good with them!
    @my2boys So good to hear ur little boy is doing well with them and everything went smoothly! I'm very scared if I don't get his ears done he will have hearing loss, they didn't say anything to me about hearing loss when he took his hearing test she did however recheck his left ear and said it looked the same as the 1st test so I'm not sure what that ment. I figured if he had a loss they would tell me. I'm starting to feel more confident in my decision. Thanks again for sharing your story.
    @roomforonemore I think thats how im going to be hurting more then him he is my world and i wanna be there the whole way to hold his hand but they have already told me no :( I didnt know they couldnt get water in the ears but that makes since. Thanks for that information. Im very curious how my son is going to do like if he is going to be up playing or sleeping more..
  • My baby has an appointment with ENT on the 24th. He's 16mo and has had 2 double ear infections and 2 single ear infections. I'm scared about him having to have surgery, but if it'll prevent the ear infections, then it'll be worth it.
  • @lilpeapod913 Im sure it will be fine! :) Sorry i have to ask are you from Kansas City? Asking because your 913 on your screen name..
  • Lol no, that was my due date with my first. @alwayzbeenurz2008
  • Oh lol okay i figured because i havent seen anyone on here from Kansas city on here other then me :) @lilpeapod913
  • Jack had his appt today. They want to do tubes because the Dr is concerned about him not talking after having 4 infections in a row.
  • :( Did you schedule? @sands3 The most Emilio has had in a row were 2
  • The guy that scheduled appts was in a meeting so they are going to call me.
  • Me and my husband just talked and im going to request a hearing test before we make our final decision.
  • Yeah good idea.. When they did Emilios she redid his left ear then said it looked the same but i didnt ask what that meant i thought the doctor would touch on that when she came in. But i got so busy trying to keep Emilio out of stuff that i didnt even remeber about that until i left. I think i might call and ask about it. @Sands3 I hope his hearing test comes out prefect! Do you think he has any issues hearing?
  • I don't think so. He listens well, he just doesn't talk. He's almost 15 months and barely says mama and dada. I think he's just not ready to talk