Waiting for x-ray results***update at the top 1/24/13

edited January 2013 in Health
Ellie had an appt with ENT today & her adenoids are really swollen, almost blocking her nasal passages, which is causing the abnormal breathing. She'll have surgery to remove them on Feb. 13. I'm just relieved to know what the problem is!

I posted about a week ago about my 14 month old making a funny grunt/sigh with exhaling. Took her to the doctor today and they did a chest & abdominal x-ray. Pediatrician also wants us to try lactose free milk for 2 weeks and see if thay has any effect. We go back in 2 weeks and if there has been no change they will do an abdominal ultrasound. Doctor said her lungs sound good and her O2 level was at 100%. She thought it seemed to be more related to some blockage in her nasal passages OR it's pain related, possibly from a food intolerance. Hmmmm. We'll see what these x-ray results show....I'm thinking probably not much.

Any milk recommendations? Soy? Almond?

Comments

• My 19 year old went through something similar. She made funny grunts when inhaling and she would also snore when she was sleep. I got her in to get a bronchial scope done and they said she had a little cliff in her throat that wasn't fully form and that she would grow out of it.... And she did. She now.sleeps like a baby.
  • I would go with almond or coconut milk. Isaac is allergic to the dairy protein and soy, not that I would give him soy milk.
    But he loves coconut milk, we are also still nursing. I just took the offending foods out of my own diet.

I hope they figure out what's wrong soon!
  • @YNVTish Thanks for responding. Interesting. I will keep that in mind! Glad to hear she outgrew it!
  • @LittleFae Okay, sounds good, thank you! Coconut milk sounds good! How did you know he was allergic, what symptoms was he having?
  • I want my son to get xrays done too, he snores alot when he sleeps and seems to have trouble breathing, I think he might have large adenoids.
  • Lots of painful gas, way bad rashes (that he still gets if I accidently have dairy) always congested, wheezing, eczema, slimy runny mucusy poop that after a while caused him to poop blood. There were a few more that I can't recall. He's also allergic to soy, wheat/gluten, he was having problems with other trains like oatmeal. Anything acidic I had to stay away from, sugar caffeine and chocolate. Spicy foods. But he has grown out of most of those. I can have everything back besides the dairy soy and gluten.
    He accidently had something contaminated with dairy and he broke out in hives and threw up all night. :(
  • @LittleFae If Ellie had a food intolerance I guess I would have expected her to be having other symptoms like those. She is fussy & cries a lot more than normal and I've always wondered about that & if it may be pain related but no othey symptoms really. That sounds terrible though, do they think he will grow out of the rest of those allergies too or not? :(

@ExcitedForOctober Have you ever mentioned it to the doctor? Worth checking into for sure!
  • I have, she said we can if I wanted to. I am going to ask her for an order at his 15mo appt next week.
  • It could be an intolerance. Different babies have different symptoms based on the severity of the allergies.

He's grown out of a lot, but I don't think he will grow out of the big three. At least not anytime soon. Especially with what happens when he has dairy.
  • X-rays were fine, thank goodness. Cutting out lactose for a few weeks to see what happens.
  • I was wondering how she was, I never did get to see the video. I'm glad all the tests turned out well. I'm so curious to what it might be.
  • That's good news!
  • @Wilsomom I'm so bummed out that I couldn't get the video working, I don't know why it's not showing up! Hmmm. Maybe I'll try again. I am so curious too. It worries me.
  • @Wilsomom Okay, here's a different link, will you try it one more time, lol!? If this doesn't work I could try emailing you the link. I don't know what the problem is! If it does work, you can see/hear it best towards the end of the video.

http://s1122.beta.photobucket.com/user/janelove1/media/VID_20130104_182248_zps8766bb92.mp4.html

• It still isn't working darn it. :( I'm at wilsofamily@live.com iff you want to try email. :)
  • @Wilsomom Okay, I emailed it to you 2 different ways, MAYBE one will work, but probably not, gah! :-?
  • @baileygoose i was able to see it. Its as if she were pushing. Kinda like she would sound if she were having a hard time trying to poo. I don't know how to explain it, but i see what you meant. That does sound weird, especially if she is doing it all day long.
  • @perly Oh good I'm glad someone could see it, lol! Yes it is so weird and it seems like it's just getting worse :( I just don't know. It doesn't matter is she's eating, drinking, playing, or just sitting, she's doing it :(
  • What did her doctor say again?
  • @perly Hey, sorry for the delayed response. Anyways, her doctor thought it could be a food intolerance causing her discomfort which was leading to the sound she's making. We've cut out lactose to see if that does anything and we go back on the 23rd. She had a chest & abdominal x-ray, which were normal. We've been giving her almond-coconut milk now rather than cow's milk, for 5 days, and there hasn't been much of a change.
  • Does she eat eggs? Could be an egg intolerance. My daughter has a milk, egg and peanut allergy. Milk doesn't give her breathing issues just diarrhea and a rash but when she had eggs she had some breathing problems.
  • @Newmommy_11 Yes she eats eggs a few times a week. Hmmm. I'll mention to the doctor. Thanks!
  • I don't think it's milk cause you say she's always doing it. I wish I could hear it show my husband see what he thinks being in the field his seen it all maybe he would know something. But I hope the doc look better into it to be safe then sorry.
  • Update? Hope you figured it out. Beatrix is allergic to dairy products. We found that out the other day when she had cheese and broke out in a bright red rash all over her body. We've had trouble with milk to begin with, she is still bf cause I can't get her to drink anything else...she won't even drink breastmilk from a sippy.
  • edited January 2013
    @trixiesmom8 I just updated at the top!!
  • That's exactly what I think is causing my LO's constant congestion and snoring...glad u got some answers, is it a complicated surgery?
  • @ExcitedForOctober It sounds like that's what it could be. Those are common symptoms of enlarged adenoids. Mention it to your LO's doctor! It is not complicated. The actual surgery is just 15 minutes, but they do use general anesthesia. Doctor said no daycare for 3 days. She said some kids act fine the next day and some have discomfort for up to one week.
  • Oh 15 min is not bad! I heard they can also cause frequent ear infections if u don't get them removed. Are there incisions?
  • @ExcitedForOctober I copied & pasted this from the internet:

Your child will be given general anesthesia before surgery. This means they will be asleep and unable to feel pain.
    •During surgery, the doctor places a small tool into your child’s mouth to keep it open.
    •The surgeon removes the adenoid glands using a spoon-shaped tool (curette) or another tool that helps cut away soft tissue.
    •Some surgeons use electricity to heat the tissue, remove it, and stop bleeding. This is called electrocautery. A newer method uses radiofrequency (RF) energy to do the same thing. This is called coblation.
    •Absorbent material, called packing material, is also used to control bleeding.

Your child will stay in the recovery room after surgery until they are awake and can breathe easily, cough, and swallow. Most patients can go home a few hours after surgery.