How many words does your 18 month old say update at bottom of comments

edited January 2013 in Ages & Stages
mine says very few starting to get worried. shoud i ask for a speech evaluation?

Comments

• by few i mean like 2 maybe 3
  • When my brother was 18 months his doctor had him in speech therapy because he was only saying 2 words so maybe.. He is now almost 3 and is talking normal
  • i know my son doctor will try to take the wait and see a approach,.I'll just have to insist on an evaluation
  • At 18 months, my kid has four or five words (2 of which sounded the exact same) so my Dr gave me a reference to a speech therapist. However, now at almost 19 months, she's probably got another ten words or so.
  • My 15mo only says "no" and "you" and now "$h*t" he says mama but it's like ma ma ma and same with dada, da da da. I worry too because my niece was talking up a storm when she was his age.
  • At 15mo my LO has about 5 words but he copies everything we say.
  • My 16 months says, mama, dada, awii(when she's hurt), water, go, bye, hug, kiss, bye, no, mine, me,...my cousin also thought her sign language so far she learned to say, please, thank u, more, and all done.
  • My son is 14 months and only says mama and dada sometimes. No other words yet
  • My 15 month old says mama and dada but doesn't related those words to myself or my husband. We are having our speech evaluation today! Trust your gut!!
  • My 15 month old can say mom, dad, dog, puppy ,all done, no, yes, ouch, help, stop, bad, please, thank you, why, oh toodles, wow, pretty, bye, hi, night night, see ya & thats all I can think of at the moment.
  • My daughter is 15 1/2 months and can say well over 20 words and knows most of the meanings. But she just started walking about a week ago.. good luck hopefully he's just moving at his own pace like Savanah was with walking :)
  • My daughter has a HUGE range of words. she says anything you ask her too. and even thank you when you give her something. my niece on the other hand is a week older but only says maybe two words. every child is different
  • My 18 month old says soooooo much. Mommy, Daddy, Sissy, Brother, want one, nuggets, drink, eat, bite, binky, kitty, dog, Laela, baby, monkey, Papa, Grandma, DS (as in Nintendo DS, and knows what it is is), blanket, night-night, coat, shoes, socks, please, bye-bye, outside, water, milk, more, I got it, cup, bobba, nice, eyes, nose, feet, booger, hands, ear, shirt, pants, wipes, undies (my favorite word of hers), ball, tissue, towel, bath, shower, trash, garbage, chair, gloves, brush, love you, sausage (sauce-itch), hot, cold, warm (she knows which is which as well), ice, no (she doesn't say yes, but nods), up, down, cracker, cookie, out, ewwwwwww, gross, spider, bug, bear, put it back, thank you, what's that?, look, mine, hug, kiss me, poop.

By 18 months, a toddler should be saying around a dozen or more words. Many also put 2 words together, "Want cookie", but every child develops differently. My two oldest barely spoke until they were 2, maybe saying 4 or 5 words, and they were not referred to speech therapy. They speak clearly now at 5 and 7, and pronounce/enunciate everything correctly. I personally wouldn't worry at this point, just praise your LO for what they do say, even if it isn't said correctly. :)
  • edited January 2013
    Neither of my kids talked by 18 months but was very advanced my son sit unsupported at 16 wks an is very smart my daughter walked by herself at 10 months with no help or practice my baby is almost 15 months an not really saying anythang but was like my other 2 an did everythang early my dr doesn't really worry about them talking till around 2.
  • My son has been talking really early. He's 16 mo and says between 40 and 50 words, and some short sentences but at his 15 month check up the dr told me he only expects 3-5 words at that age and was shocked by his vocabulary. I would bring it up to the dr, but I wouldn't waste time now worrying about it or comparing your child to his or her peers. Each child excels in their own way and does things in their own time!
  • i forgot to also mention that he was premature
  • My 17mo old was 5wks early and doesn't have a huge vocabulary yet. She says hi, ok, thank you, welcome, kitty, Cleo (the cats name lol) and tree. She still won't say mama or dada and we don't know why lol.
  • My 14 month old says around 12-15 words. I thought that was too much but maybe she's just a quick learner
  • Every child is different! If you are worried though I would talk to the doctor
  • My 18 month old says...

Momma
    Dadda
    Thank you
    All Done!
    I had a great day!
    Mine!
    Dora
    Who let the Dogs out!
    Doctor
    Yumm Yums

And she can sing a variety of TV theme show songs.

I think shes a pretty average child. My 9 yr old said more... And my 11 yr old said less.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • so doc is of.the wait until ,2 maybe 2 1/2 i kinda want to go around him and get him looked at now rather than later. you know better to be safe than sorry
  • Mine says maybe 10 words. She has gotten better since we have her at a babysitter where the other little girl is 3
  • I have been seen a couple two yr olds in the last couple days and the difference is staggering. I have never been around babies tho so I was worried. I don't think I talk enough AJ doctor told me to have diarrhea of the mouth. Name everything everytime u do anything just keep a running commentary. He learns fine I taught him his nose in a matter of a couple hours yesterday, today I ask for his nose and he snubs it up to me.lol

Also I have noticed when he is upset he will bitch up a storm.lol (genetics) Could u not be giving enough of a reason to talk I know that's a lot of our problem. Like when his cup is empty I go get it and refil b4 he has a chance to complain or let me know he needs more.
  • edited March 2013
    Mine is 20 months and has a very selective vocabulary.

Mommy
    Daddy
    Hey!
    Mik (milk)
    Bubba
    Ewww
    Poopy
    Pee pee
    No
    Boobies (was breastfed for a long time)
    Nuh uh
    Don't touch
    Thank you
    I love you

I'm not worried at all.
  • thanks guys he is.now 20 months old. and talks enough that I'm not too worried. now most of it is stuff that i understand but and some are the use of two words.
  • My 18 month old doesn't have any words at all, but she is special needs.
  • My 18 month old son only says mama hi bye n sometimes but rarely dada
  • I have a app on my tablet for my 18 month old. She loves it and its helped her learn A LOT of words. Maybe try something like that to maybe help?
  • Glad he is doing much better! Each kid learns at their own pace. My 16 month old knows about 20 words or so.